Calculating total resistance of a combination circuit with a diagonal resistor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
WetFork
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I have been given this problem, I've simplified it down to a total resistance however I'm unsure on whether I have done it correctly. Any pointers would be nice, thanks.

First of all I added the two resistors together in the top right as they are series. I then used that product with the (R1*R2)/(R1+R2) with the diagonal resistor as they are in parallel. I then added that up with the one in the bottom right as they are now in series. Used that product with the parallel formula with the one in the middle and then added the last two on the left.

My answer I got was 8.72 ohms total resistance, have I correctly done this?

Thanks for any help provided
 
Attachments
  • resistorproblembt3.png
    resistorproblembt3.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 2,713
Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds good to me.

If you have Linux you might be interested in the following packages:
gspiceui
gnucap
gEDA
gwave

They can help you model circuits and read voltage drops and currents and see how a circuit will respond to certain inputs etc etc. They're the Linux attempt to create something like "SPICE"

Windows has "LTSpice" which is useful as well.

They're all free to use.
 
Last edited: