Series question (non-baby rudin, ch. 4, #7)

  • Thread starter Thread starter xeno_gear
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
xeno_gear
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose [tex]\{a_n\}[/tex] is a sequence of positive numbers such that [tex]\sum_na_nb_n < \infty[/tex] whenever [tex]b_n \ge 0[/tex] and [tex]\sum_nb_n^2 < \infty[/tex]. Prove that [tex]\sum_na_n^2 < \infty[/tex].

Homework Equations



There's a suggestion in the text:
If [tex]\sum_na_n^2 = \infty[/tex], then there are disjoint sets [tex]E_k \, (k=1,2,3,\dots)[/tex] so that
[tex]\[\sum_{n\in E_k}a_n^2 > 1.\][/tex]
Define [tex]b_n[/tex] so that [tex]b_n = c_ka_n[/tex] for [tex]n \in E_k[/tex]. For suitably chosen [tex]c_k[/tex], [tex]\sum_na_nb_n = \infty[/tex] although [tex]\sum_nb_n^2 < \infty.[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution


Using the hint, we've got
[tex] \[b_n^2 = c_k^2a_n^2; \qquad\qquad a_nb_n = c_ka_n^2\]<br /> \begin{align*}<br /> S1 = \sum_n b_n^2 &= \sum_{n\in E_1} c_1^2 a_n^2 + \sum_{n\in E_2} c_2^2 a_n^2 + \dots \\<br /> &= \sum_k \sum_{n_k\in E_k} c_k^2 a_{n_k}^2 < \infty\\<br /> S2 = \sum_n a_n b_n &= \sum_k \sum_{n_k\in E_k} c_k a_{n_k}^2 = \infty.<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]

From this, it seems clear that we want to choose the [tex]c_k[/tex] to be "sufficiently dampening" so that [tex]S1[/tex] really is finite but [tex]S2[/tex] is not. I'm not entirely sure how to go about choosing the [tex]c_k[/tex] for arbitrary [tex]a_n[/tex] and [tex]b_n[/tex]. Thanks very much, any hints would be greatly appreciated! Sorry about the formatting, I'm new here..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the hint! I'm assuming you're referring to the CBS inequality, but I'm not quite sure how to apply it in a useful way.

I've got
[tex] \sum_n a_nb_n \le \sqrt{\sum_n a_n^2}\sqrt{\sum_n b_n^2}[/tex]
and the RHS is infinite since the sum of the squares of the a_n is infinite.