1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series question (non-baby rudin, ch. 4, #7)

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [tex]\{a_n\}[/tex] is a sequence of positive numbers such that [tex]\sum_na_nb_n < \infty[/tex] whenever [tex]b_n \ge 0[/tex] and [tex]\sum_nb_n^2 < \infty[/tex]. Prove that [tex]\sum_na_n^2 < \infty[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

There's a suggestion in the text:
    If [tex]\sum_na_n^2 = \infty[/tex], then there are disjoint sets [tex]E_k \, (k=1,2,3,\dots)[/tex] so that
    [tex]\[\sum_{n\in E_k}a_n^2 > 1.\][/tex]
    Define [tex]b_n[/tex] so that [tex]b_n = c_ka_n[/tex] for [tex]n \in E_k[/tex]. For suitably chosen [tex]c_k[/tex], [tex]\sum_na_nb_n = \infty[/tex] although [tex]\sum_nb_n^2 < \infty.[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the hint, we've got
    [tex]
    \[b_n^2 = c_k^2a_n^2; \qquad\qquad a_nb_n = c_ka_n^2\]
    \begin{align*}
    S1 = \sum_n b_n^2 &= \sum_{n\in E_1} c_1^2 a_n^2 + \sum_{n\in E_2} c_2^2 a_n^2 + \dots \\
    &= \sum_k \sum_{n_k\in E_k} c_k^2 a_{n_k}^2 < \infty\\
    S2 = \sum_n a_n b_n &= \sum_k \sum_{n_k\in E_k} c_k a_{n_k}^2 = \infty.
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

From this, it seems clear that we want to choose the [tex]c_k[/tex] to be "sufficiently dampening" so that [tex]S1[/tex] really is finite but [tex]S2[/tex] is not. I'm not entirely sure how to go about choosing the [tex]c_k[/tex] for arbitrary [tex]a_n[/tex] and [tex]b_n[/tex]. Thanks very much, any hints would be greatly appreciated! Sorry about the formatting, I'm new here..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Perhaps a well-known inequality dealing with sums would help.

4. Nov 26, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the hint! I'm assuming you're referring to the CBS inequality, but I'm not quite sure how to apply it in a useful way.

I've got
    [tex]
    \sum_n a_nb_n \le \sqrt{\sum_n a_n^2}\sqrt{\sum_n b_n^2}
    [/tex]
    and the RHS is infinite since the sum of the squares of the a_n is infinite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook