1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation of two complex series

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that ##\left\{a_n\right\}## is a sequence of complex numbers with the property that ##\sum{a_n b_n}## converges for every complex sequence ##\left\{b_n\right\}## such that ##\sum{|b_n|^2}<\infty##. Show that ##\sum{|a_n|^2}<\infty##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

We know that ##\lim{a_n}=0##, since if that were not the case then for ##b_n=\frac{1}{n a_n}##, ##\sum{|b_n|^2}<\infty##, but ##\sum{a_n b_n}=\sum{\frac{1}{n}}## diverges. Not sure that's helpful though.

My other thought was to try to prove the contrapositive, that given ##\left\{a_n\right\}## such that ##\sum{|a_n|^2}## diverges, we could find a ##\left\{b_n\right\}## such that ##\sum{a_n b_n}## diverges as well.

So we can find a sequence ##\left\{n_k\right\}## such that ##\sum_{n_k+1}^{n_{k+1}}{|a_n|^2}>1##. Then of course, we'd like to pick b's in such a way that ##\sum{a_n b_n}##, while they still converge in the square. But since we don't know how far apart the ##n_k## are, I can't figure out a way to do that. If ##b_n=\left|\frac{\bar{a_n}}{n}\right|##, then the b's converge the way we want them to, but it's not clear that ##\sum{a_n b_n}## diverges. On the other hand, if we choose something that depends on ##a_n## in some way, which seems more promising in some ways, then it's not clear that the b's converge the way they're supposed to. For instance if ##b_n=\left|\frac{\bar{a_n}}{c_n}\right|##, where ##c_n=k## when ##k<n\leq k+1##, then the c's are growing pretty slowly (presumably) so I shouldn't think the b's would converge properly.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

It seems like it may have to see with Cauchy-Schwarz:

We know if (bn,bn) < oo , then (an,bn)^2<oo . Let me try some more.

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

This argument doesn't work for an=1 since ##\sum{|b_n|^2}## will diverge.

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4
    .....##\sum{\frac{1}{n^2}}## converges... doesn't it?

6. Aug 23, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

D'oh! Never mind. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook