Series R and LC circuit question

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with 3 terminals and 3 elements (a resistor, inductor, and capacitor) connected in series. The question is about the voltage at the output terminals and how it would appear. The answer is that it would be discontinuous due to the impulse current across the inductor and the reaction of the capacitor. The current in the circuit is continuous and can be solved using equations for voltage and current.
sylak

Homework Statement

Since I don't have a pic.. I will explain my problem. I have a circuit with 3 terminals x , y and z.
Between x - z I have a resistance , say R,
Between z - y I have an inductor L and then a capacitor C in series.
I apply a square wave input between x and y.

Homework Equations

How will the voltage at output look like? and why does it look like it? output terminals being z-y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know the answer except I can't understand it. Answer being, Vzy would be discontinuous. So far, I have , at the rising edge of the square wave, an impulse current would be across L, now I don't understand how the capacitor will react. can someone explain it? so how would Vzy be discontinuous?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The current through an inductor is always continuous, and the voltage across a capacitor is always continuous. Does that help?

Since the three elements are in series, the current is the same in all three. Write the equations of voltage as a function of the current for the three elements. The sum of the voltages is the input square wave, or a series of positive and negative steps.
Solve the resulting integral-differential equation, to obtain the current in the circuit.
Having the current, you have the voltages in the inductor and capacitor.

1. What is a series R and LC circuit?

A series R and LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series, as well as a capacitor (C) connected in parallel with the inductor. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronics to control the flow of current and voltage.

2. How does a series R and LC circuit work?

In a series R and LC circuit, the resistor controls the flow of current, while the inductor and capacitor work together to control the voltage. When the circuit is first turned on, the inductor resists changes in current, causing a build-up of voltage across the capacitor. This stored energy is then released back into the circuit, creating an oscillating current.

3. What is the resonant frequency of a series R and LC circuit?

The resonant frequency of a series R and LC circuit is the frequency at which the circuit will oscillate with the highest amplitude. It is calculated by the formula f = 1/2π√(LC), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance of the circuit.

4. What are the applications of series R and LC circuits?

Series R and LC circuits are commonly used in radio and television receivers, as well as in electronic filters and oscillators. They are also used in power supplies to regulate voltage and current, and in electronic tuning circuits to select specific frequencies.

5. How do I calculate the total impedance of a series R and LC circuit?

The total impedance of a series R and LC circuit is calculated by adding the resistive impedance of the resistor (R) and the reactive impedance of the inductor (L) and capacitor (C). It is represented by the formula Z = R + j(ωL - 1/ωC), where ω is the angular frequency (2πf) and j is the imaginary unit.