1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seriously? Moment of Force about a specified Axis

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Seriously? Moment of Force about a specified Axis

So I really thought I understood this. I have attached the problem and attempt at solution. It should be easy to follow.

Problem
    [​IMG]
    Attempt at Solution
    This was my process:

1. Write each F and each r as cartesian vectors
    2. Find each moment by cross product.
    3. Add the moments to get resultant moment M_R. Find unit vector along Oa axis=U_oa
    4. Use resultant Moment and Unit vector along Oa to find
    M_R dot U_oa=|M_oa|
    5. Write as Cartesian vector-->|M_oa|*U_oa
    [​IMG]
    The answer is supposed to be 26.1i-15.1j lb*ft. As you can see, my answer isn't close (WTF else is new!)

What is wrong with my method?
    Thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2
    I can't believe I keep getting the same wrong answer!!!!

4. Dec 30, 2007 #3
    I think for Moment 2 you suppose to only have (i) term

5. Dec 30, 2007 #4
    Look at your second cross product again. Don't get discouraged, :-).

Imagine attaching a flexible pipe from the origin to the a point on the line of action of F2 and pulling on it with a rope in the direction of f2, the pipe would begin to trace out a disk and the direction of the moment caused by F2 about the origin would be defined as being perpendicular to this disk and hence must only have an i component.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  6. Dec 30, 2007 #5
    Thanks guys! I was worried that my method was wrong. I wonder if I will EVER stop making tiny stupid errors. I just can't seem to stop...no matter how careful and aware I think I am being.

Oh well...siggghhh.
    Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?