1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of Points Where f Is Continuous

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let C be the set of points where f: R --> R is continuous. Show that C may be written as the intersection of a countable collection of open sets in R.

The attempt at a solution
    If C is empty, the result is true. If C has countably many points, say x_0, x_1, ..., then R - {x_0, x_1, ...} is the union of countable collection of open intervals, (a_i, b_i) and so we may write C as the intersection of {[a_i, b_i]}. Of course, this is not what I want, but it's the best idea I've had so far. I don't know what to do if C is uncountable. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2
    I have another idea for the countable case: If C = {x_0, x_1, ...}, for each x_i, we may write

x_i = intersection {(x_i - 1/n, x_i + 1/n) : n = 1, 2, ...}

which is a countable intersection. Thus, C is the intersection of countably many intersections of countably many open intervals.

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3
    Nevermind: I found a previous post about this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook