Setting up a graph for acc. of gravity

In summary, the problem is that I need to find the slope of g using my data. I tried different methods, but all failed. I need to find the slope of g by plotting (M-m)/(M+m), but I only have two masses and it's not possible to graph the data that way.
MattF
Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem with an experiment I recently did. Basically I had two objects on a pulley (let's say masses M and m, M being the heavier object), at five different heights. I released the objects three times for each height. I then calculated the acceleration for each separate time. Thus I made fifteen data points (fifteen accelerations for each time interval).

Now, here is the problem. I need to set up a graph with fifteen data points, and a slope of g . I already know the value of g(the slope) will NOT be 9.81 m/s^2. According to my data it will be roughly in the range of 8 m/s^2 (estimated). This is due to reaction time and other outside influences distorting the data, since it is not a perfect experiment in ideal conditions.

The y-axis must be acceleration, right? What will the x-axis be? I got a hint that it should be (M-m)/(M+m). This seems to be a valid method, because I get a reasonable value dividing acceleration by that. However, I only have those two masses, so if I graph my points I will get a vertical line. The masses do not change, thus the x-axis will only have one value. I obviously need a diagonal line in order to get a slope of g .

Basically my big question is, what values do I assign the x-axis in order to get a slope of g ? I have the height, time, final velocity, and acceleration. ANY help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the slope of your line is supposed to be acceleration, then the plot axis must be velocity or displacement, and time. If you plot displacement vs time your graph will be parabolic. Average velocity vs time is the more likely quantity to plot. It would be easy to get (displacement/time) and will yield a linear plot with slope of g.

I'm sorry but I think there's a little misunderstanding :). I already HAVE the acceleration taken from average velocity vs time. I did as you suggested and did v/t and d/t, but neither gives the right slope. I may have totally missed something, but I don't get it.

What I have are fifteen different accelerations of the pulley system, derived from three time intervals for each height. I have a, but I need gravitational acceleration. Acceleration of the pulley system needs to be on the y-axis, but what I'm confused about is the x-axis. What value goes on it? The linear plot will have a slope of g. The only thing that I know of that works for one data point is (M-m)/(M+m). For instance a=0.6227 m/s^2, M=16.31 g, and m=13.92 g. Thus g is about 7.876 m/s^2. However, I need values for the x-axis, and I only have those two masses.

I need further explanation :)

I'll try and clear this up a bit more. The whole experiment is working with an Atwood device. I just realized that I totally messed up in one area. In this experiment I needed to variate the masses, which I forgot to do. Thus, I have the same two masses for each different height.

So, when I tried to graph the data, it failed because acceleration has to be a function of (M-m)/(M+m). A graph of the measured acceleration as a function of (M-m)/(M+m) yields the acceleration due to gravity as the slope. Basically the y-axis is acceleration and the x-axis is (M-m)/M+m), giving a slope of g which I'm trying to get. That's the answer! Does this make sense now? I hope this sounds logical.

Since I don't have more masses to do the x-axis on the graph, is it impossible to graph this? I've spent hours trying to find an alternative. Does anyone have an idea?

Integral, thanks for trying to help. I suppose I sounded a bit confusing, huh? :)

1. What is the purpose of setting up a graph for acceleration of gravity?

The purpose of setting up a graph for acceleration of gravity is to visually represent the relationship between the acceleration due to gravity and the distance an object has fallen. This graph can help to analyze and understand the acceleration of gravity in a specific scenario.

2. What are the variables that should be plotted on the graph?

The independent variable, which is the distance an object has fallen, should be plotted on the x-axis. The dependent variable, which is the acceleration due to gravity, should be plotted on the y-axis. It is also important to label the axes and include units for each variable.

3. How should the data points be collected for the graph?

The data points for the graph should be collected by performing multiple trials of dropping an object from different heights and measuring the time it takes for the object to fall. The distance traveled can then be calculated using the formula d = (1/2)gt^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and t is the time. The average distance and time for each trial should be used to plot the data points on the graph.

4. What type of graph should be used for displaying the data?

A line graph is typically used for displaying the data for the acceleration of gravity. This type of graph allows for a clear representation of the relationship between the two variables. A scatter plot can also be used, especially if the data points do not fall on a straight line.

5. What is the expected shape of the graph for acceleration of gravity?

The graph for acceleration of gravity should be a straight line with a positive slope. This indicates that as the distance an object falls increases, the acceleration due to gravity also increases. The slope of the line can also be used to calculate the value of the acceleration due to gravity.