Setting up a path for a line integral

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a path that traces out a straight line connecting two points in a plane, starting at the initial point and ending at the final point. The proposed path involves vector equations and unit vectors, but there is some confusion about whether it is actually a straight line or not. Suggestions are made to clarify the path by using parametric equations.
hivesaeed4
If $${C}$$ is the straight line that connects points in the plane $${(x_i, y_i)}$$ and $${(x_f, y_f)}$$, find a path $${\tmmathbf{r} (t)}$$ that traces out $${C}$$ starting at the initial point $${(x_i, y_i)}$$ and ending at $${(x_f, y_f)}$$ as $${t}$$ goes from zero to 1.

Now the path that I've been able to come up with is

r=(xf-xi)cos(t) i +(yf-yi)sin(t) j

Note r is a vector giving the path and i and j are the unit vectors.

Is my path correct or is their some error in it?

Physics news on Phys.org
hivesaeed4 said:
If $${C}$$ is the straight line that connects points in the plane $${(x_i, y_i)}$$ and $${(x_f, y_f)}$$, find a path $${\tmmathbf{r} (t)}$$ that traces out $${C}$$ starting at the initial point $${(x_i, y_i)}$$ and ending at $${(x_f, y_f)}$$ as $${t}$$ goes from zero to 1.

Now the path that I've been able to come up with is

r=(xf-xi)cos(t) i +(yf-yi)sin(t) j

Note r is a vector giving the path and i and j are the unit vectors.

Is my path correct or is their some error in it?

I must be misunderstanding something as the path you described above is NOT a straight one, as you required at the beginning...

Question: why not simply take the straight line connecting the two points??

DonAntonio

So the path should be something like:

r=(xf-xi)i + (yf-yi) j ?

The problem is you have simply defined a vector and not how one would move along the line the vector is describing (which is quite straight forward, how would you do this?). If you're having trouble i came across a lecture on parametric equations for lines by denis auroux at mit (in youtube lecture 5 mit course on multivariable calculus, the first 10 mins will do for you)

Hope this helps.

hivesaeed4 said:
So the path should be something like:

r=(xf-xi)i + (yf-yi) j ?
That is a vector from (xi, yi) to (xf, yf)- which doesn't have a variable "t". The path itself would be x= (xf- xi)t+ xi, y= (yf- yi)t+ yi. You can see that is right by taking t= 0 and t= 1.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a given path or curve. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the function as it changes along the path.

2. Why is it important to set up a path for a line integral?

Setting up a path for a line integral is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the value of a function over a specific path or curve. Without a designated path, the value of the line integral may be incorrect or meaningless.

3. How do you determine the path for a line integral?

The path for a line integral can be determined by the context of the problem or by the given boundaries. It is typically represented as a curve or line on a graph.

4. What are some common applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. Some examples include calculating work done by a force, finding the electric potential of a charged particle, and determining the flow of a fluid.

5. Are there different types of line integrals?

Yes, there are two main types of line integrals: path integrals and contour integrals. Path integrals are calculated over a specific path, while contour integrals are calculated over a closed loop. There are also various methods for solving line integrals, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus and Green's theorem.