Setting up a Teacher website questions

1. Hello, this doesn't seem to quite fit into any of the forums, but I'm hoping to find some help.

I want to set up a website as a teacher for my students to look at. I'd like to
    - Post general interest stuff
    - Post solved homework and tests
    - Let the students log on to do the above and most of all look at their grades
    - To that end, I want to post grades assignment-by-assignment. If there was a website service that could automatically sync to EZ Grade or such, THAT would be the killer app.

Any comments about all this are appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea about the grades part, but everything else requires just a minimum knowledge about HTML, or a CMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system). Zillions of places offering hosting for free or for a very small fee.

4. There are a lot of places that will host for you. It's rather overwhelming. But as a new teacher, I don't want to mess around with this much. I'm willing to pay a fee BUT for my money I want my life made very easy:
    - Really easy to upload presentations, homework, etc
    - Really easy to upload grades. Or WAY better, sync automatically to my grade book...

5. I'd just use a wordpress install, honestly. It'd do anything but the grades, but grades can be posted with an Excel sheet and having each student choose a unique identifier.

6. Do you mean like instead of student names, have them come up with their own names like "Birdie" or "#@$@" or "FlyGirl"?

Interesting idea. I'll have to check if that would meet confidentiality requirements, since some students could figure it out (only 1 kid aces a test, it's easy to spot them). If there is even a clear policy about that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?