Setting up a triple integral with spherical coordinates

In summary, you need to know how x, y, and z are related to ρ, θ, and φ in order to find the limits of integration for θ and φ .
krackedude

Homework Statement

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7118/capturenbc.jpg

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 + z2 = p2

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3370/eq0006m.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relevant equations I converted the given equation to:

∫∫∫e(p3/2) * p2 * sin(∅) dp dθ d∅

Then the bounds of the first integral, dp, would be from 1 to 2, because of the radius of the spheres.

I cannot figure out what the bounds for the second and third integrals would be though.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What shape is defined by z2 = 2(x2 + y2) ?

krackedude said:
You have [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2\le1\,.[/itex]

I think you mean [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2\ge1\,.[/itex]

To find the limits of integration for θ and φ , you need to know how x, y, and z are related to ρ, θ, and φ.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK , it's a cone, so which integration does that imply a limit for, in spherical coordinates?

So, normally for a cone would have a θ from 0 <= θ <= 2∏, but the question says first octant, so would that mean 0 <= θ <= ∏/4?

And ∅ would be: 0 <= ∅ <= ∏/4?

EDIT: wait, wouldn't θ be limited by 3x <= y <= 4x? So, then how could i find those limits?

Last edited:
krackedude said:
So, normally for a cone would have a θ from 0 <= θ <= 2∏, but the question says first octant, so would that mean 0 <= θ <= ∏/4?

And ∅ would be: 0 <= ∅ <= ∏/4?

EDIT: wait, wouldn't θ be limited by 3x <= y <= 4x? So, then how could i find those limits?

"... but the question says first octant, so would that mean 0 <= θ <= ∏/4?"

No. This is three dimensions. The coordinate planes cut R3 into 8 Octants. In the first Octant x, y, and z are all positive.
Therefore, in the first Octant, 0 <= θ <= π/2 .​

The cone determines the limits for φ . z2 tan2(φ) = x2 + y2.

The more difficult task will be to express y=3x and y = 4x in spherical coordinates. But it's not all that difficult .

[itex]\phi[/itex] is the one I was looking for limited by the cone, yes. The limit angle is not [itex]\pi/4[/itex], though.

And the other two planes do indeed limit [itex]\theta[/itex]. Just need a little trig in each case to work out the angles (or express them as inverse trig functions, I guess).

1. What are the steps to setting up a triple integral with spherical coordinates?

To set up a triple integral with spherical coordinates, follow these steps:

1. Identify the limits of integration for each variable (ρ, θ, and φ) based on the given region of integration.
  2. Convert the given function into spherical coordinates using the following equations:
    x = ρsin(φ)cos(θ), y = ρsin(φ)sin(θ), z = ρcos(φ).
  3. Rewrite the integral using the spherical coordinates and their respective limits of integration.
  4. Simplify the integral by combining like terms and evaluating any trigonometric functions.
  5. Integrate the resulting function with respect to ρ, θ, and φ in the appropriate order, making sure to use the correct differential for each variable.

2. How do I determine the order of integration for a triple integral with spherical coordinates?

The order of integration for a triple integral with spherical coordinates is typically ρ first, then θ, and finally φ. This is because the limits of integration for ρ usually depend on the other two variables, while the limits of integration for θ and φ are typically constants.

3. Can you provide an example of setting up a triple integral with spherical coordinates?

Sure, let's say we want to find the volume of a sphere with radius 2 centered at the origin. Using spherical coordinates, the limits of integration would be ρ from 0 to 2, θ from 0 to 2π, and φ from 0 to π. The integral would then be:

∭f(ρ, θ, φ) dV = ∫0200π ρ2sin(φ) dρ dθ dφ.

4. How do I determine the bounds of integration for a given region in spherical coordinates?

To determine the bounds of integration for a given region in spherical coordinates, you can use the following guidelines:

1. For ρ, the lower limit will usually be 0, and the upper limit will be the distance from the origin to the boundary of the region.
  2. For θ, the limits will depend on the shape of the region and can be determined by visualizing the projection of the region onto the xy-plane.
  3. For φ, the lower limit will usually be 0, and the upper limit will be π for regions above the xy-plane and 2π for regions below the xy-plane.

5. Are there any alternative methods for setting up a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using the Jacobian determinant to transform the integral into a simpler form. Additionally, in some cases, it may be easier to switch to a different coordinate system, such as cylindrical or Cartesian coordinates, to set up the integral. It is important to choose the method that is most efficient for the given problem.