Setting Up an Advanced Mathematics Equation

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Twice the supplement of angle 0 is 104 degrees greater than four times the complement of angle 0. Find 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin. I'm good with angle relationships, all I need is the equation.

Answers and Replies

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Twice the supplement of angle 0 is 104 degrees greater than four times the complement of angle 0. Find 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin. I'm good with angle relationships, all I need is the equation.
You could begin by writing an equation for the supplement and the complement of an angle θ. Then substitute in the equation that you are given:

2s = 4c + 104

AM

Thank you!

So the next step would be to divide both sides by 4, yielding 2s=c+26 . Then I could divide both sides by 2, yielding s=c+13. After that,I'm not sure how to proceed, because I still don't know c.

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So the next step would be to divide both sides by 4, yielding 2s=c+26 . Then I could divide both sides by 2, yielding s=c+13. After that,I'm not sure how to proceed, because I still don't know c.
Use the definition of supplementary and complementary angles. But check your algebra first! You have to do the same operation to BOTH sides of the equation.

AM

I could divide all the things by 2, yielding s=2c+52, but then I don't know what to do with the 2c.

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I could divide all the things by 2, yielding s=2c+52, but then I don't know what to do with the 2c.
What is the definition of supplementary angle in terms of θ? What is the definition of complementary angle in terms of θ?

AM

I could divide 52 by 2c, but then all I have is s=26c.

Oh! Sorry! I was too busy working on randomly dividing that I forgot to check for new replies.

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I could divide 52 by 2c, but then all I have is s=26c.

You have to follow the rules of algebra first. You must do the same operation to both sides of the equation.

Use s = 2c + 52

s = ? (an expression involving θ)
c = ? "

That gives you a single equation with one unknown: θ, so you have the solution.

AM

Okay, I know that complementary angles add up to 90 degrees, and supplementary angles add up to 180 degrees, but I'm not sure how to work that into the equation. 2s=180=4c+104 doesn't seem to make sense.

Annnnd again. xD. I need to refresh the page more often.

Okay, so I have s=c+52 But I'm not quite sure what to do with my information about complementary and supplementary angles. 180-s=90-c+52 *seems* right, but that introduces more numbers and symbols that don't seem to want to go anywhere.

So you have some angle ##\theta##. If ##s## is its supplementary, what is it? Write this as a formula ##s = ... ##, where ##...## has ##\theta## in some (correct!) way.

Would something along the lines of 0=(180-s=90-c+52) work out somehow? It doesn't seem right. Sorry for the trouble, I'm used to applying equations, not writing them.

You said: "supplementary angles add up to 180 degrees". If the supplementary angles are denoted by ##\theta## and ##s##, write "supplementary angles add up to 180 degrees" as an equation involving ##\theta, \ s ## and 180 degrees.

Okay, so I have s=c+52 But I'm not quite sure what to do with my information about complementary and supplementary angles. 180-s=90-c+52 *seems* right, but that introduces more numbers and symbols that don't seem to want to go anywhere.

Thank you! So write that equation, abandoning this one?

You do not need to abandon your previous work just yet. What you need, to continue, is to obtain equations that relate ##\theta## with ##s##, and ##\theta## with ##c##. Then you come back to your previous work.

The equations I am talking about follow directly from the definitions of supplementary and complimentary angles, which you know. You just need to write those definitions down algebraically.

Or incorporate it into the old? Possibly s+0=180=c+52 ?

Oops, we posted at the same time. Is something like the above equation correct?

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oops, we posted at the same time. Is something like the above equation correct?
Check the definition of complementary angles.

I suggest you take a step back and go through all of our suggestions and study the problem again. Be very careful with your algebra. You should be able to solve this problem now. You need to figure it out for yourself now.

AM

Or incorporate it into the old? Possibly s+0=180=c+52 ?

Do not incorporate anything into anything just yet. Work out your basic equations first. You have not done so, at least here, despite our requests.

s+0=180=c+52=90

Thanks, AM. Is that what you meant?

Okay. Sorry, it is somewhat confusing working with two people at the same time. I'm not sure I understand the requests as you meant them. Voko, when AM left off right before you came in, we had s=c+52
Would you mind restating the next step?