Sex education for SMA connectors

• Thread starter Paul Colby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, there are four possible configurations for SMA connectors, two of which are commonly used and two that are considered "pointless" by the speaker. The use of the terms "male" and "female" to describe these configurations can be confusing and misleading, but this is due to the need to differentiate between different types of antennas. However, this explanation is seen as a weak excuse by the speaker.
Paul Colby
Insights Author
Gold Member
Okay, so I think I get the whole sex metaphor for coaxial connectors. I recently started buying SMA plumbing after I discovered RG-58 is essentially transparent in the FM band for my application. Now, typically a "male" designator refers to a connector having a little conducting protuberance while the corresponding "female" refers to a nice conducting receptacle for the aforementioned "male" bit. Okay, meanwhile in an alternate universe, "male" could refer to to the outer conductor equipped with exterior threads mating with the nice gold plated nut with interior threads. Okay, I buy 20 RP-FEMALE SMA bulkhead connectors only to discover that by the previous discussion the outer conductor is male and the inner conductor is also male. So, my question is two fold. A) In what convention system does this make sense. B) who on Earth would think making such a thing is a swell idea?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Paul Colby said:
Okay, so I think I get the whole sex metaphor for coaxial connectors. I recently started buying SMA plumbing after I discovered RG-58 is essentially transparent in the FM band for my application. Now, typically a "male" designator refers to a connector having a little conducting protuberance while the corresponding "female" refers to a nice conducting receptacle for the aforementioned "male" bit. Okay, meanwhile in an alternate universe, "male" could refer to to the outer conductor equipped with exterior threads mating with the nice gold plated nut with interior threads. Okay, I buy 20 RP-FEMALE SMA bulkhead connectors only to discover that by the previous discussion the outer conductor is male and the inner conductor is also male. So, my question is two fold. A) In what convention system does this make sense. B) who on Earth would think making such a thing is a swell idea?
LOL, funny thread title.

NP (normal polarity) has the male signal poke-out thing and inside threads on the outer nut/conductor/shield part.

RP (reverse polarity Female connectors have the female middle conductor, but have outside threads on the outer part (so that fits inside of the outer threads for the mating part.

One reason for the variations is that antennas have a couple variations of the connectors built-in, hence the need to have alternatives for mating with them.

EDIT / ADD -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector

EDIT2 -- It looks like I may have mispoke about the center conductor determining the sex. From the wikipedia article:
200px-Gniazdo_RPSMA.jpg

Figure 2. Female RP-SMA connector: Female connector body (outside threads) with a male inner pin contact. A male RP-SMA connector is the opposite in both respects — male connector body (inside threads) with a female inner sleeve contact.

I always have to double-check the pictures when ordering RP SMA parts...

Attachments

• 200px-Gniazdo_RPSMA.jpg
    200px-Gniazdo_RPSMA.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 900
Likes scottdave and Paul Colby
berkeman said:
One reason for the variations is that antennas have a couple variations of the connectors built-in, hence the need to have alternatives for mating with them.

Why introduce potential confusion? Of course the image you show wasn't available (the one missing view angle in fact) but until now the horror of such a possibly hadn't occurred to me.

Paul Colby said:
Why introduce potential confusion?
That's a valid question, with an interesting answer.

Many FCC-approved RF transceiver devices that have detachable antennas are approved only for the antenna the device was approved with during FCC testing. They don't want you to be able to easily connect a larger antenna with lots more gain via a standard SMA cable. So the output SMA connector on the device is RP, expecting an RP SMA antenna, not a standard polarity SMA coax cable. Of course, with SMA adapters, you can circumvent that issue, but that's one of the original reasons for the RP option. There could be others as well...

I would argue the proper name for the part I bought should be RP-MALE.

Paul Colby said:
RP-MALE.
This?

http://www.nghobbies.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/rp-sma-male.jpg
rp-sma-male.jpg

Attachments

• rp-sma-male.jpg
    rp-sma-male.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,018
The above would clearly be "RP-FEMALE".

Paul Colby said:
The above would clearly be "RP-FEMALE".
Apparently not. See the name in the link. And Wikipedia seems to say the "sex" goes with the outer conductors thread sense...

Likes davenn
berkeman said:
Apparently not. See the name in the link. And Wikipedia seems to say the "sex" goes with the outer conductors thread sense...

Thread sense makes no sense, IMO. Unless of course if they are left-handed as well. They screwed up and they rely on people like me to buy their products by accident.

Okay, one of my RP-FEMALE bulkhead connectors paid the ultimate price. I pulled the mislabeled male bit out. A standard NP-MALE connector screws on just fine so the handedness of the threads is right-handed.

RP male has both female contact and female thread. It is still referred to as male because it is a normal SMA male that has had a sex change operation.
In other words "reversed male" = female

Last edited:
Paul Colby said:
They screwed up...
:DD . :DD

Likes Tom.G
the_emi_guy said:
RP male has both female contact and female thread.It is still referred to as male because it is a normal SMA male that has had a sex change operation.
In other words "reversed male" = female

that really doesn't make sense and doesn't go with common info available

did you not read Berkeman's post #6 ?

davenn said:
that really doesn't make sense and doesn't go with common info available

did you not read Berkeman's post #6 ?

What doesn't make sense?

That connectors that have all female parts would have the word "male" in their description, or my explanation of that odd situation?

Berkeman's post #6 is just a picture of an RP Male (with all of its female parts).

It takes 2 bits of information to describe 4 possible configurations. Two of these configurations have been given stupid and misleading names. I will adjust to this situation though it may take some time to heal. Two of the configurations are in common usage and the other two are pointless from my perspective. While the "Let's make this inconvenient to plug a non-standard antenna in" explanation for the two pointless configurations may be industry standard, it is a lame excuse.

Paul Colby said:
It takes 2 bits of information to describe 4 possible configurations. Two of these configurations have been given stupid and misleading names. I will adjust to this situation though it may take some time to heal. Two of the configurations are in common usage and the other two are pointless from my perspective. While the "Let's make this inconvenient to plug a non-standard antenna in" explanation for the two pointless configurations may be industry standard, it is a lame excuse.

Berkeman's "inconvenient to plug in" explanation is correct, and it was not initiated by engineers, but by lawyers at the FCC. Search for "unique connectors" in the attached fcc rules document.
As far as I know, no one uses these reversed connectors except to hack around FCC pre-approved antennas (or the folks making FCC approved equipment) so maybe it really doesn't matter what they are called.

Attachments

• oet63rev.pdf
    910.7 KB · Views: 287
Likes krater
'Tis a fine madness...

http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/connectorbasics

http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/faq/knowconnectors.pdf
upload_2017-12-24_1-7-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-24_1-7-25.png
    upload_2017-12-24_1-7-25.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,155
jim hardy said:
'Tis a fine madness...

http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/connectorbasics

http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf/faq/knowconnectors.pdf
View attachment 217364
And circling back to the post title, check out the note at the bottom of page 29 of the knowconnectors.pdf link.

:DD

Likes dlgoff and jim hardy
the_emi_guy said:
And circling back to the post title, check out the note at the bottom of page 29 of the knowconnectors.pdf link.

But there's a wise guy in every design group.
Some wag just had to invent a "Hermaphroditic Connector" .

https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/hermaphroditic-connectors/24517#datasheets
upload_2017-12-25_11-43-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-25_11-43-13.png
    upload_2017-12-25_11-43-13.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 675
Likes dlgoff
the_emi_guy said:

:DD
:doh:

Likes jim hardy
jim hardy said:
I've used some of that type, albeit decades ago. The sometimes un-appreciated utility is if you get the style that allows the contacts to be inserted in two positions (rotated 90°), you can key the connectors many different ways, specifically 2<No. of pins>. Useful in large systems. (But you better document it well!)

jim hardy said:
Lol, believe it or not, ambiguous gender, and genderless (hermaphroditic) connectors are the... "in or not in " thing now... . :DD

Last edited:
Likes davenn
OCR said:
Lol, believe it or not, ambiguous gender, and genderless (hermaphroditic) connectors are the... "in or not in " thing now... . :DD

over the last 15 years, one I have used dozens of are the genderless Anderson Power Pole connectors
@berkeman may be familiar with them... much loved in the amateur radio fraternity

Sell_Anderson_Power_pole_Connector.jpg

Attachments

• Sell_Anderson_Power_pole_Connector.jpg
    Sell_Anderson_Power_pole_Connector.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 517
Likes berkeman

Attachments

• Gr-874-connector.jpg
    Gr-874-connector.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 448
  • Apc7_1.png
    Apc7_1.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 484
Likes scottdave and dlgoff

What is the purpose of sex education for SMA connectors?

The purpose of sex education for SMA connectors is to educate individuals about the proper use and maintenance of SMA connectors in order to ensure optimal performance and prevent damage or failure.

What are SMA connectors and why are they important in sexual education?

SMA connectors are a type of coaxial connector commonly used in high-frequency applications, such as in radio and telecommunications equipment. They are important in sexual education because they are commonly used in medical devices and equipment for sexual health procedures.

What are the potential risks of not properly understanding SMA connectors in a sexual context?

Not properly understanding SMA connectors in a sexual context can lead to damage or failure of medical devices and equipment, which can result in improper diagnosis or treatment of sexual health issues. It can also lead to discomfort or injury for the individual involved.

What are some tips for properly using and maintaining SMA connectors in a sexual context?

Some tips for properly using and maintaining SMA connectors in a sexual context include: avoiding excessive force when connecting or disconnecting, keeping the connectors clean and free of debris, and using the correct size and type of connector for the specific application.

Are there any resources available for further education on SMA connectors in a sexual context?

Yes, there are various resources available for further education on SMA connectors in a sexual context, such as online tutorials, user manuals for medical devices, and workshops or training sessions offered by medical professionals or manufacturers.