Shake a magnet fast enough, would i create light?

In summary: Radiation Reaction", the NIB mass will resist movement slightly more so than the non-magnetic mass, resulting in an end result being a vector-shifting of the center of mass of that "system"In summary, the center of mass of a "system" will shift when radiation reaction is induced.
skywolf
if i were to shake a magnet fast enough, would i create light?,
and if so which direction would i need to shake it?

away then towards, up and down or sideways?

Physics news on Phys.org
Move it as slowly as you like and you will create an electromagnetic disturbance - i.e. light. It will propagate in all directions approximately with a dipole distribution.

but every time you produce constant velocity state, the radiation pattern will turn off.

Best regards

DaTario

DaTario said:
but every time you produce constant velocity state, the radiation pattern will turn off.

Best regards

DaTario

Quite correct! I used the word "move" in the context of the OPs term "shake" which implies acceleration.

since I am making light, does that mean that by moving it I am losing energy?
if so, is it kinda like a (very) slight resistance?

skywolf said:
if i were to shake a magnet fast enough, would i create light?
You will create an electromagnetic wave when you oscillate the magnet. Light is an electromagnetic wave within a certain frequency spectrum so you'd have to oscillate it at a really high rate and vibrating it that fast would make it fall apart before the frequency reaches light frequency.
skywolf said:
.and if so which direction would i need to shake it?
Any direction. Different directions of shakikng will give you different radiation patterns.
skywolf said:
since I am making light, does that mean that by moving it I am losing energy?
Yes.
skywolf said:
if so, is it kinda like a (very) slight resistance?
Yes. Its called a "radiation reaction". Its a "self-force" exerted by the magnet on the magnet. Same thing happens with charges when you accelerate them.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Yes. Its called a "radiation reaction". Its a "self-force" exerted by the magnet on the magnet. Same thing happens with charges when you accelerate them.

Pete

Self-Force? Would this imply that an accelerated magnet nominally resists further acceleration due to this phenomenon?

pallidin said:
Self-Force? Would this imply that an accelerated magnet nominally resists further acceleration due to this phenomenon?
Yes but not by a significant amount.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Yes but not by a significant amount.

Pete

Thank you. I think I understand it(perhaps a form of self-inductance that resists continuation of the acceleration) yet am somehow fascinated by it. If you or anyone could point me towards specific literature on the subject I would be grateful.

pallidin said:
Thank you. I think I understand it(perhaps a form of self-inductance that resists continuation of the acceleration) yet am somehow fascinated by it. If you or anyone could point me towards specific literature on the subject I would be grateful.

See Classical Electrodynamics - 3rd Ed., D.D. Jackson, page Chapter 10. Most of the first part of this chapter deals with accelerating a charged particle and the extra force required to do so due to the creation and emission of radiation and its energy. Same idea that you're intersted in except Jackson addresses an accelerating charge rather than an accelerating magnetic. The ideas are the same. This phenomena is called the Radiation Reaction or Radiation Dampening.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
See Classical Electrodynamics - 3rd Ed., D.D. Jackson, page Chapter 10. Most of the first part of this chapter deals with accelerating a charged particle and the extra force required to do so due to the creation and emission of radiation and its energy. Same idea that you're intersted in except Jackson addresses an accelerating charge rather than an accelerating magnetic. The ideas are the same. This phenomena is called the Radiation Reaction or Radiation Dampening.

Pete

Much appreciated. I have a very serious question. Please consider the following scenario:

Experiment: "Center of Mass Displacement due to the Radiation Reaction Phenomenon"

I set up two experimental scenarios. In the first, I have two precisely equal non-magnetic masses which are close together then separated by an accelerating force. In this scenario, the center of mass does not shift. This is my "control"

In the second, and separate scenario, I have replaced one of the "precisely equal" non-magnetic masses with a comparable mass consisting entirely of, say, a Grade40 neodymium magnet. Then, I separate the NIB mass and the non-magnetic mass by some rapid, accelerating force.

Under the pretense of "Radiation Reaction", the NIB mass will resist movement slightly more so than the non-magnetic mass, resulting in an end result being a vector-shifting of the center of mass of that "system"

Pete, is my conceptual experiment correct?

pallidin said:
Much appreciated. I have a very serious question. Please consider the following scenario:

Experiment: "Center of Mass Displacement due to the Radiation Reaction Phenomenon"

I set up two experimental scenarios. In the first, I have two precisely equal non-magnetic masses which are close together then separated by an accelerating force. In this scenario, the center of mass does not shift. This is my "control".
Sounds okay so far.
In the second, and separate scenario, I have replaced one of the "precisely equal" non-magnetic masses with a comparable mass consisting entirely of, say, a Grade40 neodymium magnet. Then, I separate the NIB mass and the non-magnetic mass by some rapid, accelerating force.

Under the pretense of "Radiation Reaction", the NIB mass will resist movement slightly more so than the non-magnetic mass, resulting in an end result being a vector-shifting of the center of mass of that "system"

Pete, is my conceptual experiment correct?
Any experiment is a correct experiement. Its the analysis that can be correct/incorrect. In your analysis you seem to think that the center of mass of the entire system has changed. It has not. You have neglected to take into account the mass of the radiation into account. When all mass of a closed system is taken into account then the center of mass of that system is conserved.

Pete

Ah, thanks. I understand now.

1. Can shaking a magnet really create light?

Yes, shaking a magnet fast enough can indeed create light. This phenomenon is known as magnetoluminescence, and it occurs when the magnetic fields of the magnet cause the atoms in the surrounding material to vibrate and emit photons, which are the particles of light.

2. How fast do I need to shake the magnet to create light?

The speed at which you need to shake the magnet depends on a variety of factors, including the strength of the magnet and the material it is interacting with. However, in general, the shaking needs to be done at a very high frequency, often in the range of millions of times per second.

3. What types of materials can create light when shaken by a magnet?

Any material that contains atoms with magnetic properties can potentially create light when shaken by a magnet. This includes metals, such as iron and nickel, as well as certain types of crystals.

4. Is this type of light created by shaking a magnet different from regular light?

Yes, the light created by shaking a magnet is different from regular light in a few ways. For one, it is typically in the infrared range, meaning it has a longer wavelength than visible light. Additionally, the direction of the light is usually aligned with the direction of the magnetic field, whereas regular light is emitted in all directions.

5. Are there any practical applications for creating light by shaking a magnet?

Yes, there are potential practical applications for this phenomenon. For example, it could be used to create non-invasive imaging techniques that are more sensitive than current methods. It could also be used in the field of optogenetics, which involves using light to control the activity of cells in living organisms.