1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shannon entropy - use to calculate the bit needed to encode a symbol

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    To encode a symbol in binary form, I need 3 bits ,and I have 6 symbols.
    So I need 6*3=18 bits to encode "We are" into binary form. As shown in http://www.shannonentropy.netmark.pl/calculate
    My question: 3 bits to encode one then I have to use 16 bits, _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
    How to encode"W" into _ _ _ ? The _ _ _ is filled by 1 or 0 .
    3 bits is calculated from entropy And what is that relate to the entropy? Please help. Really appreciate.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You need less than 3 bits on average, as you do not use all 8 symbols you could encode with 3 bits. For example, you can choose one symbol and encode it with just two bits (this "blocks" two 3-bit-strings).

That is completely your choice. Pick anything you like, just provide a table where you describe the encoded symbols.

I moved your thread to our homework section.

4. Dec 14, 2013 #3
    Thanks. Can you please give me some simple links to read??? Please

5. Dec 14, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't have links, but every textbook and a lot of websites should cover that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted