Shear stress, Direct stress and factor of safety -- help please

In summary, a load of 10kN is applied to a tensile member, carried by 3 steel rivets of 12mm diameter spaced equally at 40mm centres. The angle of the joint is 60 degrees to the axis of the load and the rivet material has a Modulus of Rigidity G = 85GN/m2. The student is seeking help with their assignment and is advised to review their textbook and class notes. The distribution of the load is assumed to be equal among the three rivets. They are asked to consider the meaning of direct stress and shear stress on a joint.
jordanbeaton
Homework Statement
A load of 10kN is applied to a tensile member as shown in fig 2, and is carried at the joint by 3 steel rivets of 12mm diameter spaced equally at 40mm centres. The angle of the joint is 60 degrees to the axis of the load and the rivet material has a Modulus of Rigidity G = 85GN/m2...
Relevant Equations
Shear stress calculation, Trig
hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some much needed help/guidance as i have absolutely no idea on how to workout my assignment! any help would be much appreciated
IMG_2393.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
jordanbeaton said:
Homework Statement:: A load of 10kN is applied to a tensile member as shown in fig 2, and is carried at the joint by 3 steel rivets of 12mm diameter spaced equally at 40mm centres. The angle of the joint is 60 degrees to the axis of the load and the rivet material has a Modulus of Rigidity G = 85GN/m2...
Homework Equations:: Shear stress calculation, Trig

hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some much needed help/guidance as i have absolutely no idea on how to workout my assignment! any help would be much appreciatedView attachment 255883
We are not allowed to provide any tutorial help until you show your best efforts to work the problem. Maybe go back and re-read this part of your textbook and revidew your class notes, and look for ways that you can start to approach this problem. Thanks.

Likes Chestermiller
The info seems incomplete to me: we are not told how the 10kN is distributed. So I would assume it is spread equally over the three rivets.
First, try to answer:
What does direct stress mean here?
What does shear stress on a joint mean?

Likes berkeman

What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two forces act parallel to each other in opposite directions, causing the object to deform or shear.

What is direct stress?

Direct stress is a type of stress that occurs when a force is applied perpendicular to the cross-sectional area of an object. This type of stress causes the object to elongate or compress.

What is the difference between shear stress and direct stress?

The main difference between shear stress and direct stress is the direction of the applied force. Shear stress occurs when forces act parallel to each other, while direct stress occurs when forces act perpendicular to an object's cross-sectional area.

How is the factor of safety calculated?

The factor of safety is calculated by dividing the maximum stress that a material can withstand by the actual stress that is applied to the material. This helps determine the safety margin and ensures that the material will not fail under normal operating conditions.

Why is the factor of safety important?

The factor of safety is important because it ensures that the material being used can withstand the expected stress without failing. It also provides a safety margin in case of unexpected or excessive stress, preventing catastrophic failure.