Maximum shear stress and angle of twist for a rotating shaft

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ball
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
A solid shaft 100mm diameter which transmits 75kw at 150 rev/min.

the question is asking me to find the max shear stress and angle of twist per metre of the shaft length.

G=80GN/m^2

I was under the impression to find the angle of twist you needed the length in the first place. None of the examples in class had length missing.
I worked the shear stress out as 2.4mNm^2

Thanks for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ball said:
A solid shaft 100mm diameter which transmits 75kw at 150 rev/min.

the question is asking me to find the max shear stress and angle of twist per metre of the shaft length.

G=80GN/m^2

I was under the impression to find the angle of twist you needed the length in the first place. None of the examples in class had length missing.
I worked the shear stress out as 2.4mNm^2

Thanks for any help

"the question is asking me to find the max shear stress and angle of twist per meter of the shaft length."

I'm unfamiliar with units of 'mNm^2' for stress.

Anywho, if you want any help on this question, you need to provide some of your work.