Shell Method Confusion: Explaining the Difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of surface area traced by a function when rotated around the x-axis, with different expressions being proposed and compared. The speaker initially raises concerns about the equivalence of these expressions, but later realizes that they are actually consistent when the correct formula is used. The conversation also touches on the confusion between rotation around the x-axis and rotation around the y-axis. The issue is ultimately resolved with the clarification of the formula and the correction of the thread title.
HJ Farnsworth
Greetings,

If we have a function y=f(x), we can calculate the surface area traced by that function when rotating about the x-axis as

1: [itex]S=∫dx\,2πf(x)[/itex],

which makes perfect sense to me. I am told that, if we have x=x(t) and y=y(t), the equivalent expression is

2: [itex]S=∫dt\,2πf(x)\sqrt{(dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2}[/itex].

I find (2) a bit suspicious, since it seems that we are now integrating along the parametrized curve itself, rather than along the x-axis. In other words, it seems to me that (2) is equivalent to

3: [itex]S=∫dl\,2πf(x)[/itex],

which is not the same as (1).

Furthermore, in the case that our parametrization satisfies y=f(x), (2) becomes

4: [itex]S=∫dx\,2πf(x)\sqrt{1+(dy/dx)^2}[/itex],

which seems to me to brazenly contradict (1). In both (1) and (4), we are looking for the surface area traced out by rotating a curve y=f(x) about the x-axis, and yet we have two different expressions for the area.

What am I missing here? More to the point, what is it that makes (1) and (4) not contradict each other?

Thanks for the help!

-HJ Farnsworth

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't looked at in detail, but I think you are mixing rotation around the x-axis with rotation around the y axis.

I figured it out.

Formula (1) is wrong, it should be [itex]S=∫2πf(x)dl[/itex], not [itex]dx[/itex], so there's actually no issue.

Also, the title of this thread should have had "surface of revolution", not "shell method" I always get all of those things mixed up.

Thanks.

-HJ Farnsworth

1. What is the shell method and how is it different from other integration methods?

The shell method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution by integrating the circumference of a cylindrical shell. This method is different from other integration methods, such as the disk method, because it involves integrating with respect to the height of the shell rather than the radius.

2. What are some common misconceptions about the shell method?

One common misconception about the shell method is that it can only be used for finding the volume of solids with circular cross sections. However, the shell method can also be used for other shapes, such as ellipses, as long as the solid is symmetric about the axis of rotation.

3. How do you know when to use the shell method?

The shell method is typically used when the solid of revolution has a curved surface that can be represented by the circumference of a cylindrical shell. It is also useful when the axis of rotation is parallel to the axis of integration.

4. Can you explain the difference between the shell method and the washer method?

The main difference between the shell method and the washer method is the shape of the cross sections being integrated. The shell method uses cylindrical shells, while the washer method uses circular disks. The shell method is typically used when the axis of rotation is parallel to the axis of integration, while the washer method is used when the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the axis of integration.

5. What are some tips for avoiding confusion when using the shell method?

One tip for avoiding confusion when using the shell method is to always draw a clear diagram that shows the solid of revolution and the axis of rotation. It is also important to identify the correct axis of integration and to carefully label the variables used in the integral. Additionally, practicing with a variety of examples can help solidify understanding of the method.