Shift and convolution in matrix form

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of operators, which are matrices, to act on a vector and produce another vector. One example of an operator is the backward shift (or delay) operator, which translates the k-th element of a vector into the k-1-th element. The conversation also touched on the concept of convolution, which can be represented as a matrix in vector form. The speaker expressed confusion about how the matrix H is derived from the basic operator composition, but acknowledged that it is ultimately a linear equation system that must be solved.
valjok
The operators act on a vector to produce another vector. They are matrices, therefore. For instance, the backward shift (aka delay) operator, z, acting on vector, say y, translates k-th element into k-1-th: zyk = yk-1. It is normally z-1 in z-transform but I will ignore the difference where it is clear. I guess that the long matrix form of operator is

[tex]
z\left[\begin{array}{c}y_0\\y_1\\y_2\\y_3\end{array}\right]
= \left[\begin{array}{cccc}z&0&0&0\\0&z&0&0\\0&0&z&0\\0&0&0&z\end{array}\right]
\left[\begin{array}{c}y_0\\y_1\\y_2\\y_3\end{array}\right]
= \left[\begin{array}{c}zy_0\\zy_1\\zy_2\\zy_3\end{array}\right]
= \left[\begin{array}{c}0\\y_0\\y_1\\y_2\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

Correct me if I am wrong identifying the diagonal matrix with multiplication operator. Similarly to scalar operator, say 3, that uniformly multiplies every element of vector by the same factor 3, shift operator manages to replace it by the neighbor.

Now, the convolution

[tex]
y[m] = \sum_{k=0}{h[m-k]u[k]} = \sum_{k=0}{h[k]u[m-k]} = \sum_{k=0}{h[k]z^{-k}u[m]} = H(z) u[m]
[/tex]

happens to be a Z-transform. In vector form, convolution turns out to

y = H u

and expanded into matrices

[tex]
H\left[\begin{array}{c}u_0\\u_1\\u_2\\u_3\end{array}\right]
= \left[\begin{array}{cccc}h_0&0&0&0\\h_1&h_0&0&0\\h_2&h_1&h_0&0\\h_3&h_2&h_1&h_0\end{array}\right]
\left[\begin{array}{c}u_0\\u_1\\u_2\\u_3\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

The thing that I do not understand is that how matrix H is derived from the basic operator composition [tex]\sum_{k=0}{h[k]z^{-k}}[/tex], from their matrices.

That is, I see that it can be decomposed

[tex]
\left[\begin{array}{cccc}h_0&0&0&0\\h_1&h_0&0&0\\h_2&h_1&h_0&0\\h_3&h_2&h_1&h_0\end{array}\right]
= [\begin{array}{cccc}h&h&h&h\end{array}]\left[\begin{array}{cccc}z^0&0&0&0\\0&z^1&0&0\\0&0&z^2&0\\0&0&0&z^3\end{array}\right] = [h] [\begin{array}{cccc}z^0&z^1&z^2&z^3\end{array} ]
[/tex]

Nevertheless, the problem is that H must shift u while it looks like h that is shifted in the matrix. If I start reducing H u by shifting u first, before scaling by h:

y = H u = (h [z0 z1 z2 z3 ]) u = h ([z0 z1 z2 z3 ] u) - matrix multiplication is associative

= h [z0u0+z1u1+z2u2+z3u3 ]
= 4u0 h,

which is bizarre.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the end it is a linear equation system which must be solved. No big deal.
However, "they" are matrices leaves open whether the matrices are to be shifted, or whether the operators are matrices. Write down a few examples for ##n=2,3,4## and you will probably see a pattern.

1. What is a shift in matrix form?

A shift in matrix form refers to the process of moving or translating a matrix in a certain direction by a certain amount. This can be done by adding or subtracting a constant value to the elements of the matrix.

2. How is a shift represented in matrix form?

A shift in matrix form is represented by a matrix with the same dimensions as the original matrix, where the elements are shifted by a certain amount. For example, if we want to shift a matrix A by 2 units to the right, we would create a shift matrix B with the same dimensions as A, where the elements in B are equal to the elements in A shifted by 2 units to the right.

3. What is a convolution in matrix form?

A convolution in matrix form is a mathematical operation that combines two matrices to create a third matrix. This operation is commonly used in signal processing and image processing to modify and filter signals or images.

4. How is a convolution represented in matrix form?

In matrix form, convolution is represented by multiplying two matrices, the input matrix and the kernel matrix, and then summing up the results. The result of this operation will be a new matrix with different values, depending on the input and kernel matrices used.

5. What is the relationship between shift and convolution in matrix form?

Shift and convolution in matrix form are closely related. A shift can be seen as a special case of convolution, where the kernel matrix is a shift matrix. In other words, a shift operation can be achieved by convolving the input matrix with a shift matrix.