Convolution of a linear and rectangular function

In summary, when calculating the convolution of two functions, the first step is to find the limits of integration for the function h(t) * x(t). The four cases are when the graph of x(t-\tau) is entirely to the left of h(t), when the left edge of x(t-\tau) is between the left and right edges of h(t), when the left edge of x(t-\tau) is between the left and right edges of h(t), and when the left edge of x(t-\tau) comes after the right edge of h(t).
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I want to to calculate the convolution of the following two functions
[tex] h(t)=\left\{\begin{array}{ll} t, & 0 \leq t \leq 10 \\
0, & otherwise\end{array}\right. [/tex] and the function
[tex] x(t)=\left\{\begin{array}{ll} A, & 0 \leq t \leq 10 \\
0, & otherwise\end{array}\right. [/tex]

Homework Equations

Convolution theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it, but I have problems with the constant A.

I wrote
[tex] h(t) * x(t) = \int_{0}^{10} h(\tau) *x(t-\tau) d\tau =\int_{0}^{10} \tau \cdot A d\tau[/tex]

I'm not sure about the last step, can anyone help me ?

Thanks for your help in advance

edit: actually I think the limits are wrong aswell? Because If I'd do it this way I get a number as a result and not a function. But I don't know what the limits should be then?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lindsayyyy said:
I wrote
[tex] h(t) * x(t) = \int_{0}^{10} h(\tau) *x(t-\tau) d\tau =\int_{0}^{10} \tau \cdot A d\tau[/tex]

I'm not sure about the last step, can anyone help me ?
Please note that the above is correct only for ##t=10##. To deal with ##A##, recognize that it simply stands for some number which does not vary with ##t## or ##\tau##, so you can slide it out of the integral just as if it were a number:
$$\int_{0}^{10} \tau \cdot A d\tau = A \int_{0}^{10} \tau d\tau$$
edit: actually I think the limits are wrong aswell? Because If I'd do it this way I get a number as a result and not a function. But I don't know what the limits should be then?!
Yes, you're right. The integral you wrote gives you ##h*x(10)##. In general, you should expect one or both of the integration limits to depend on ##t##. You won't be able to write down a single integral which is correct for all values of ##t##. Instead you will have to consider several cases.

I highly recommend sketching plots of ##h(\tau)## and ##x(t - \tau)## as functions of ##\tau##. This will be very helpful to determine the endpoints of the integral. You should find that it makes sense to consider the following four cases:

(1) ##t < 0##
(2) ##0 \leq t \leq 10##
(3) ##10 \leq t \leq 20##
(4) ##t > 20##

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your quick reply. But I don't understand why you differ the fours different cases. I'd take t<0 0<t<10 and t>10 but why do you mention the one between 10 and 20 ?

Lindsayyyy said:
Thank you for your quick reply. But I don't understand why you differ the fours different cases. I'd take t<0 0<t<10 and t>10 but why do you mention the one between 10 and 20 ?
I'll assume you have sketched the graphs of ##h(\tau)## and ##x(t - \tau)## as functions of ##\tau##. I'm too lazy to scan and attach an image, but your graphs should have the following characteristics:

• ##h(\tau)## is nonzero between ##\tau = 0## and ##\tau = 10##
  • ##x(t - \tau)## is nonzero between ##\tau = t-10## and ##\tau = t##
Now, case (1) is when the graph of ##x(t-\tau)## is entirely to the left of ##h(\tau)##, and the nonzero portions do not overlap. This happens when the right edge of ##x(t-\tau)## comes before the left edge of ##h(\tau)##, i.e., when ##t < 0##.

Case (2) is when the left edge of ##h(\tau)## is between the left and right edges of ##x(t - \tau)##. This corresponds to the case ##0 \leq \tau \leq 10##.

Case (3) is when the left edge of ##x(t - \tau)## is between the left and right edges of ##h(\tau)##. This corresponds to the case ##10 \leq \tau \leq 20##.

Case (4) is when the left edge of ##x(t - \tau)## comes after the right edge of ##h(\tau)##. This corresponds to the case ##\tau > 20##.

Thank you very much again. I will try it tomorrow and if I have further problems I post again in this thread. Much appreciated your help.:smile:

1. What is the definition of "Convolution"?

Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is commonly used in signal processing and image processing to represent the relationship between two signals. In simple terms, it is the process of multiplying, integrating, and adding two functions together.

2. How is Convolution related to linear and rectangular functions?

Convolution is the mathematical operation that is used to combine a linear function (such as a line) and a rectangular function (such as a box) to create a new function. This new function represents the output of the system when the input is the combination of the two original functions.

3. What is the formula for Convolution of a linear and rectangular function?

The formula for convolution of a linear and rectangular function is:
f(x) * g(x) = ∫ f(t)g(x-t)dt
where f(x) and g(x) are the two functions being convolved and the integral is taken over all possible values of t.

4. What are the applications of Convolution of a linear and rectangular function?

Convolution of a linear and rectangular function has many applications in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, and physics. It is used to analyze and understand the relationship between two signals and to filter out noise from a signal. It is also used to simulate real-life systems and predict their behavior.

5. How does Convolution of a linear and rectangular function affect the shape of the original functions?

The shape of the original functions is preserved in the convolution, but the resulting function may have a different shape and properties. The convolution also has the property of smoothing out sharp edges and peaks in the original functions, resulting in a smoother and more continuous function.