Short exact sequences and group homomorphisms

Abstract algebra question. Given the short exact sequence

[tex]$ 1 \longrightarrow N \longrightarrow^{\phi} G \longrightarrow^{\psi} H \longrightarrow 1 $[/tex]

I need to show that given a mapping [tex]$ j: H \longrightarrow G[/tex], and [tex]$ \psi \circ j = Id_h $[/tex] (the identity on H), then [tex]$ G \cong N \times H[/tex]. (The internal direct product).

So far I have proved the following: [tex]$ \phi $[/tex] is injective, [tex]$ \psi $[/tex] is surjective, N is normal in G, and [tex]$ H \cong G/N $[/tex].

Now since I know [tex]$ H \cong G/N $[/tex], for this isomorphism [tex]$ G \cong N \times H[/tex] to be true, wouldn't I need to show that G/N is normal in G?

I think the natural projection mapping is the right path (mapping g in G to its coset in G/N), but I can't get it to be an internal direct product..

You have to use j at some point. Note that the image of j is isomorphic to H.

Edit: Are N, G, H supposed to be abelian? Otherwise you only get a "twisted direct product".

I think I got it, K: NxH -> G, taking (n,h) -> n*j(h). I forgot that internal direct products are isomorphic to the external direct products in the finite case.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving