Shortest & largest distance from origo to ellipse

• Thread starter Inertigratus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the question is how to find the largest and shortest distance from origo to the ellipse, with given equations and optimization functions. The solution involves setting up equations and solving for the values of x and y, which leads to two possible optima: x = y or x = -y.
Inertigratus

Homework Statement

Find the largest and shortest distance from origo to the ellipse.

Homework Equations

Ellipse: [itex]g(x, y) = 13x^2 + 13y^2 + 10xy = 72[/itex]
Function to optimize: [itex]F(x, y) = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} [/itex]
But this is easier to optimize: [itex]f(x, y) = x^2 + y^2 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the equations, [itex]\nabla f = \lambda \nabla g[/itex], which got me that [itex]x = y[/itex]. [itex]g(x) = 36x^2 = 72[/itex] and [itex]x^2 = 2[/itex] which got me that one of the values (either minimum or maximum) is [itex]F(x, y) = 2[/itex].

The question is, how do I get the other value?

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]x^2= 2[/itex] then [itex]x= \pm\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Put that back into the equation of the ellipse and solve for y.

Yes, but I got [itex]x^2 = 2[/itex] from that equation, only because [itex]x = y[/itex].
I meant the other optima. According to the answers, 2 is the minimum. So I'm looking for the maximum.

Ohh, nevermind... now that I checked the answer, [itex]x = -y[/itex].
The thing is, I got [itex]x^2 = y^2[/itex] and assumed that [itex]x = y[/itex], but obviously [itex]x = -y[/itex] is correct too and gives different points.
Thanks anyway :).

1. What is the shortest distance from the origin to an ellipse?

The shortest distance from the origin to an ellipse is the distance from the center of the ellipse to the closest point on the ellipse's boundary. This distance is also known as the semi-minor axis of the ellipse.

2. How is the shortest distance from the origin to an ellipse calculated?

The shortest distance from the origin to an ellipse can be calculated using the formula: d = b * sqrt(1 - (a^2/b^2)), where a is the length of the semi-major axis and b is the length of the semi-minor axis of the ellipse.

3. What is the largest distance from the origin to an ellipse?

The largest distance from the origin to an ellipse is the distance from the center of the ellipse to the furthest point on the ellipse's boundary. This distance is also known as the semi-major axis of the ellipse.

4. Can the largest distance from the origin to an ellipse be greater than the shortest distance?

No, the largest distance from the origin to an ellipse can never be greater than the shortest distance. The semi-major axis is always longer than the semi-minor axis in an ellipse, therefore the largest distance will always be smaller than the shortest distance.

5. How does the eccentricity of an ellipse affect the shortest and largest distances from the origin?

The eccentricity of an ellipse, which is the ratio of the distance between the foci to the length of the major axis, determines the shape of the ellipse. The closer the eccentricity is to 1, the more elongated the ellipse is and the larger the difference between the shortest and largest distances from the origin will be. As the eccentricity approaches 0, the ellipse becomes more circular and the shortest and largest distances from the origin become more similar.