Equally inclined tangents of an ellipse

  • Thread starter Thread starter sooyong94
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ellipse Inclined
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
sooyong94
Messages
173
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Find the equation of the tangents to the ellipse 4x^2+9y^2 = 36 which are equally inclined to the x and y-axis.

Homework Equations


Quadratic discriminant

The Attempt at a Solution


First I substituted y=mx+c into the ellipse, and determined its discriminant, and got c^2 = 9m^2 + 4
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sooyong94 said:

Homework Statement


Find the equation of the tangents to the ellipse 4x^2+9y^2 = 36 which are equally inclined to the x and y-axis.

Homework Equations


Quadratic discriminant

The Attempt at a Solution


First I substituted y=mx+c into the ellipse, and determined its discriminant, and got c^2 = 9m^2 + 4
Doesn't "equally inclined" to the x and y axes mean that the slopes of the tangent lines have to be 1 or -1?

Also, I'm reasonably sure that this is a calculus problem, so it should not be posted in the Precalc section. I'm moving it to the Calc & Beyond section.