Shortest path on a conical surface (Variational Calculus)

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the shortest path between two points on a conical surface. The constraint equation and function to be minimized are given, and the Euler equation is used to find a solution. However, the next step is unclear and the textbook only solves for one variable. One suggested answer is provided, but it is not clear how to find the other variable.
DethLark
I'm supposed to find the shortest path between the points (0,-1,0) and (0,1,0) on the conical surface [tex]z=1-\sqrt {{x}^{2}+{y}^{2}}[/tex]

So the constraint equation is:
[tex]g \left( x,y,z \right) =1-\sqrt {{x}^{2}+{y}^{2}}-z=0[/tex]

And the function to be minimized is:

[tex]\int\sqrt{x\acute{}^{2}+y\acute{}^{2}+1} dz[/tex]

Putting this into: df/dq-d/dx*(df/dy')+lamda*dg/dz =0

I get:

[tex]{\frac {y'}{\sqrt {{y'}^{2}+{x'}^{2}+1}}}={\frac {\lambda\,yz}{\sqrt {{y}
^{2}+{x}^{2}}}}+{\it const}[/tex]

and

[tex]{\frac {x'}{\sqrt {{y'}^{2}+{x'}^{2}+1}}}={\frac {\lambda\,xz}{\sqrt {{y}

I don't know where to go from here. My textbook just solves for dg/dq and thinks that's good enough for some aweful reason. I've been working on this thing all day.

One answer I got was:
[tex]z=-{\frac { \left( {\it c1}\,x+{\it c2}\,y \right) \ln \left(
\left| {\it c2} \right| \right) }{{\it c1}\,{\it c2}}}[/tex]
And even if this was correct I don't see how you can find c1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sigh this post looks fine in preview but is showing something completely different on posting.

I get:

[tex]{\frac {y'}{\sqrt {{y'}^{2}+{x'}^{2}+1}}}={\frac {\lambda\,yz}{\sqrt {{y}

and

[tex]{\frac {x'}{\sqrt {{y'}^{2}+{x'}^{2}+1}}}={\frac {\lambda\,xz}{\sqrt {{y}

I've just come across this question, but after using the Euler equation to solve it, I don't know how to go about it next?..

1. What is the shortest path on a conical surface?

The shortest path on a conical surface is the path that minimizes the distance traveled between two points on the surface. This can be calculated using variational calculus, which is a mathematical method for finding the optimum value of a function.

2. How is variational calculus used to find the shortest path on a conical surface?

Variational calculus involves finding the minimum value of a functional, which is a function that maps a set of input functions to a single output value. In the case of finding the shortest path on a conical surface, the functional represents the distance traveled along the path. By finding the minimum value of this functional, we can determine the shortest path on the conical surface.

3. What are the key steps in using variational calculus to find the shortest path on a conical surface?

The key steps in using variational calculus to find the shortest path on a conical surface are as follows:

• Define the functional that represents the distance traveled along the path
  • Write the Euler-Lagrange equation for the functional
  • Solve the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the minimum value of the functional
  • Use the minimum value to determine the shortest path on the conical surface

4. What are some real-life applications of finding the shortest path on a conical surface using variational calculus?

One real-life application of finding the shortest path on a conical surface using variational calculus is in the design of roller coaster tracks. By minimizing the distance traveled between points on the track, designers can create a more thrilling and efficient ride for passengers. Another application is in the design of satellite orbits, where finding the shortest path can minimize fuel consumption and increase the lifespan of the satellite.

5. Can variational calculus be used to find the shortest path on other curved surfaces?

Yes, variational calculus can be used to find the shortest path on any curved surface. It is a powerful mathematical tool that can be applied to a wide range of optimization problems, including finding the shortest path on surfaces with different shapes and dimensions.