Should abortion be considered murder?

• News
  • Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
In summary, pro-lifers believe that the federal government should not be involved in abortion, while pro-choicers believe that the government should make it illegal. A majority of pro-lifers say that abortion should be allowed in cases of rape or when the mother's life is in danger, while a majority of pro-choicers say that abortion should be allowed in all cases. There is a small minority of pro-lifers who believe that abortion should be allowed in all cases, even in cases of rape or when the mother's life is in danger. Most pro-choicers believe that access to contraception and the so-called 'morning after' pill (RU-486) is appropriate.

Are you Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

• Anti-Abortion

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Pro-choice

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lawtonfogle said:
Does not abortion always have some risk to the mother's health, no matter how much.
With first trimester abortion done correctly with the current procedures, extremely minimal. Any medical procedure has risks, I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to say, can you clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
my basic analogy (excluding rape) is this
having sex= crime
having baby= time
old saying 'If you don't want to do the time, then don't do the crime'

if the government has anti-abortion laws, they do not force the woman to have a child because they did not force the woman to have sex

abstince is the only 100% sure birth control that works.

lawtonfogle said:
To begin with, why is it 'pro-choice' and 'anti-abortion'! Using pro gives a postive sense, while using anti gives a negative sense. Why not use 'pro-choice' and 'pro-life' or 'anti-life' and 'anti-abortion! By having the two different senses, you are making 'pro-choice' seem the better option to one who does not have any idea what all the terms mean. Is not pro better that anti?

Actually, I have a problem with the term pro-life in context of being the opposite of pro-choice. The reason is that it presumes pro-choice are anti-life.

At this point, I will state that I am pro-choice, and prefer to tackle the problem of unwanted pregnancies by 1) prevention and 2) better care for babies and children after they are born.

1) Prevention means education about sexual responsibility, birth control/contraceptive options and proper use, self-respect and mutual respect, and overall women's health. Avoid unwanted pregnancies in the first place.

2) Once a woman finds herself with an unwanted pregnancy, don't leave her stuck between a rock and a hard place with her only options being abortion, raising a child in poverty and hunger, or sending the child into a foster care system where he/she will be bounced around and possibly abused. Make it easier for people to adopt children, make it easier for mothers who keep their children to get the education they need about how to raise those children and get them the help they need to ensure that child is well-cared for. Too often, I find that those who are entirely anti-abortion only fight for the fetus and forget the child, which is why I ultimately have a problem with calling that position pro-life.

I don't think we will ever completely eliminate abortion, but if those two criteria are met, we may see a much greater reduction in the number of women who choose that option because they feel they have no other direction to turn.

So, that's my opinion. I'm not going to argue about it with anyone, I'm just stating it. I've discussed, debated and argued the pro-choice v anti-abortion issue many times and have learned that no amount of argument or debate will change anyone's mind on this issue. All I want to point out is that pro-choice is not synonymous with pro-abortion or anti-life.

Ooppps

:biggrin: :biggrin: I meant having a child, not abortion :biggrin: :biggrin:

my mistake, sorry

Just for reference, abortion is the ending of a prengancy by any means, including mis-carriage. last i heard 70% of fertilized eggs never attach, so 70% of babies are aborted as it is, now times 30% by who many births are aborted by a doctor and add it to 70%, and you then come up with the actual numbers of abortions in any area.

Evo said:
No, it's what I consider to be the difference between a mass of cells and and something developed enough to be "unborn life".

Then if we draw the line at sentience, or even sapience, then how do you justify your adherence to an arbitrary tripartition that neither claims to nor does take into account the awareness or intelligence of the unborn?

The law seems to agree.

No, the law does not. Roe v. Wade asserts a woman may or may not have an abortion under X conditions (a different discussion). Even if we accept that law--and by that I mean a particular US Supreme Court decision at a particular time--is the final arbiter of fact, Roe v. Wade does not, it does make a finding--explicit or inferred--as to what human personhood is and it begins. In fact, it explicitly leaves that matter up to the woman and, to a certain extent and no further, her physician in the first trimester, and in the subsequent pregnancy to "the State, in promoting its interest in the health of the mother." The justices copped to a theory of balance, and from that we can infer that the value of life is less in one trimester than the next, but not the reason why.

Rev Prez

Moonbear said:
At this point, I will state that I am pro-choice, and prefer to tackle the problem of unwanted pregnancies by 1) prevention and 2) better care for babies and children after they are born.

1) Prevention means education about sexual responsibility, birth control/contraceptive options and proper use, self-respect and mutual respect, and overall women's health. Avoid unwanted pregnancies in the first place.

2) Once a woman finds herself with an unwanted pregnancy, don't leave her stuck between a rock and a hard place with her only options being abortion, raising a child in poverty and hunger, or sending the child into a foster care system where he/she will be bounced around and possibly abused. Make it easier for people to adopt children, make it easier for mothers who keep their children to get the education they need about how to raise those children and get them the help they need to ensure that child is well-cared for. Too often, I find that those who are entirely anti-abortion only fight for the fetus and forget the child, which is why I ultimately have a problem with calling that position pro-life.

I don't think we will ever completely eliminate abortion, but if those two criteria are met, we may see a much greater reduction in the number of women who choose that option because they feel they have no other direction to turn.

So, that's my opinion. I'm not going to argue about it with anyone, I'm just stating it. I've discussed, debated and argued the pro-choice v anti-abortion issue many times and have learned that no amount of argument or debate will change anyone's mind on this issue. All I want to point out is that pro-choice is not synonymous with pro-abortion or anti-life.
I agree! We have had so many of these threads, I'm sick of them, they go nowhere, become flame wars and then get locked.

Another concern of mine is people that are unfit to be parents that end up abusing, torturing and killing these unwanted children, but that seems to be of no concern to the pro-lifers. Where is the moral outrage at this? Where are the protests? They just want to tell people what they shouldn't do but don't want to be bothered with the problems after the fact. Now I shouldn't say that as a blanket statement because there are a few (way too few) that really do care about the children, but most only care that abortion goes against their "morals". Does child abuse not go against their morals?

Moonbear said:
Too often, I find that those who are entirely anti-abortion only fight for the fetus and forget the child

And why do you say that?

Rev Prez

Rev Prez said:
Then if we draw the line at sentience, or even sapience, then how do you justify your adherence to an arbitrary tripartition that neither claims to nor does take into account the awareness or intelligence of the unborn?

from that we can infer that the value of life is less in one trimester than the next, but not the reason why.

Rev Prez
I suggest you get a good book on biology and read up.

1. If you don't want a baby, don't have sex.
2. If you find yourself pregant, put the baby up for adoption
3. If raped, don't punish the child, instead follow number 2.
4. If your health causes serious health risk if you have a baby, then don't have sex
5. If your problem is 3. and 4. then take a morning after pill (since it only ups the chances of a natural abortion occurring).

Moonbear said:
Actually, I have a problem with the term pro-life in context of being the opposite of pro-choice. The reason is that it presumes pro-choice are anti-life.

On the singular issue as to whether ending the lives of the unborn should be legal, it is an entirely accurate characterization of the position.

Your stated goals are lofty enough to be meaningless; that is, pretty much everybody accepts them. Few conservative Christians argue that wanton knocking of boots is a good thing, even fewer argue that the children are better off sucking the big one after they drop.

The means you vaguely describe below without so much as a defense are heavily disputed. That, of course, is a matter for another thread.

Rev Prez

Evo said:
I suggest you get a good book on biology and read up.

Care to explain?

Rev Prez

while you are explaining that can you also explain the little green (or gray) light with a warning sign in the lower left hand conner is for?

It is totally of topic but i just got to know

lawtonfogle said:
while you are explaining that can you also explain the little green (or gray) light with a warning sign in the lower left hand conner is for?

It is totally of topic but i just got to know
The little round light if green, means you are "online", gray means "offline", the triangle is used to report a bad post, it will send a copy of the post to the mentor's private forum and we will decide what to do with it. You can report a post if you think the person is a crackpot, or is being offensive, or advertising something, or just being a nuisance. It is confidential, the person you report will never know.

Wow, I leave you guys alone for less than 12 hours and this thread explodes with responces. Its definitely NOT a bad thing.

You've all got good arguements to support your positions.

thank you for explaining. Now anyone can argue my 1,2,3,4,5 rules, so i can improve badparts of them.

Evo said:
I agree! We have had so many of these threads, I'm sick of them, they go nowhere, become flame wars and then get locked.

Another concern of mine is people that are unfit to be parents that end up abusing, torturing and killing these unwanted children, but that seems to be of no concern to the pro-lifers. Where is the moral outrage at this? Where are the protests? They just want to tell people what they shouldn't do but don't want to be bothered with the problems after the fact. Now I shouldn't say that as a blanket statement because there are a few (way too few) that really do care about the children, but most only care that abortion goes against their "morals". Does child abuse not go against their morals?

I agree with this 100% Evo, I am pro-choice and pregnant myself. We had this discussion on abortion very recently...here is the link:

Abortion

I was quite active in this thread, right when I found out that I was pregnant ironically.

lawtonfogle said:
1. If you don't want a baby, don't have sex.
2. If you find yourself pregant, put the baby up for adoption
3. If raped, don't punish the child, instead follow number 2.
4. If your health causes serious health risk if you have a baby, then don't have sex
5. If your problem is 3. and 4. then take a morning after pill (since it only ups the chances of a natural abortion occurring).
I chose anti-abortion (there's a few instances where I think it would be acceptable, but those instances are very rare).

I agree with 2, 3, and 5, but not so much with 1 & 4.

I find it ironic that those most opposed to abortion also oppose artificial birth control (probably doesn't apply to lawtonfogle, personally, considering option 5). Abstinence may be the most effective birth control method, but you have to include other birth control methods as well if you want to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies overall (but the user assumes the risk they won't work).

The health issues can apply to both the mother and the child. What's the advantage of continuing a pregnancy where at best, you trade the mother's life for the child's life, and, at worst, you wind up with neither having much chance of surviving. I also think abortions are acceptable for birth defects where the fetus has little to no chance of eventually becoming a self-sustaining adult.

Being anti-abortion isn't quite the same thing as believing it should be illegal. Still, at a minimum, it should be illegal during the last trimester. By that time, you've reached a point where it's awful hard to deny you're killing a concious, sentient person. If you had a test you could do using amniotic fluid to tell when the fetus had most likely developed into a sentient being, that would be the best dividing line between legal and illegal.

BobG said:
The health issues can apply to both the mother and the child. What's the advantage of continuing a pregnancy where at best, you trade the mother's life for the child's life, and, at worst, you wind up with neither having much chance of surviving. I also think abortions are acceptable for birth defects where the fetus has little to no chance of eventually becoming a self-sustaining adult.

I agree with this 100%...having a severe down's syndrome child in my family has opened my eyes to a lot of things. Typically, this genetic problem is an instance due to the mother being older, but in my family's case it is hereditary. Knowing this, I was fully screened during my first trimester for these genetic problems so that I could be informed of the condition of my child.

Being anti-abortion isn't quite the same thing as believing it should be illegal. Still, at a minimum, it should be illegal during the last trimester. By that time, you've reached a point where it's awful hard to deny you're killing a concious, sentient person. If you had a test you could do using amniotic fluid to tell when the fetus had most likely developed into a sentient being, that would be the best dividing line between legal and illegal.

Again, I agree 100% with this. Although I am pro-choice during the first trimester, I don't feel it is anyone's right to choose what is right for a woman and her life. I wouldn't have any problem with abortion being illegal after 16 weeks (2nd trimester) gestation, maybe due to my own personal experience of having children however.

one type of abortions i don't like are those that are done to teenagers who 'play-around'. I bleive pre-fornication is wrong. If she has a child, the grand-parents (all 4) should help raise the child and let the mom and/or dad finish school.

lawtonfogle said:
one type of abortions i don't like are those that are done to teenagers who 'play-around'. I bleive pre-fornication is wrong. If she has a child, the grand-parents (all 4) should help raise the child and let the mom and/or dad finish school.

I wasn't going to get back into this discussion, but this sort of comment suggests a complete unawareness of the conditions that many children are raised in and the sort of life one is condemning an unwanted child to.

What if the grandparents aren't around, or the teen got into this situation because her and her partner's own parents were rather irresponsible about supervising their whereabouts and activities and in giving them the education they needed about sexual responsibility? And what about the teen who is a runaway, living on the streets, prostituting herself, and abusing alcohol, crack, and heroine? There's a reason the foster-care system is filled with crack babies, AIDS babies, and developmentally challenged children; it's because nobody is stepping up to the plate to adopt them. What if this is one of those teens who herself was born to too young of parents and/or completely irresponsible/neglectful parents and has been bouncing around the foster care system? Who is going to raise her baby for her when she isn't even grown up enough to act responsibly for herself?

Are you also aware of the greater risk of complications in teenage pregnancy, especially for very young teens? Their bodies may be capable of getting pregnant, but they are not developed enough to carry and deliver a baby safely. Are you willing to pay for their prenatal care and for their postpartum care and for the care of that baby when there is nobody willing or able to to care for it, and for all the hospital bills when that baby is born premature because young teens have a higher incidence of premature births than older women?

If you are going to force these women to have children they can neither afford nor care for, then put your money where your mouth is and start paying the bills to care for and raise them all the way from the pre-natal care through adulthood. And if women are not permitted to have an abortion even if severe development abnormalities are detected in utero, then be willing to continue supporting those children even into adulthood if they can never be independent.

This is what I mean by not just taking care of the fetus but taking care of the child. It's not enough to say you think the child should be cared for, but one needs to actually put their money where their mouth is and start doing something about it.

These discussions always take a wrong turn. The real issues are, when does the fetus become a person... what kind of value does the fetus have.

Some of those against abortion see killing the fetus as pretty much the same thing as killing the born baby.

The issue of nobody being able to care for a child applies even after the child is born. So is terminating the child after birth acceptable? If not, then obviously the issue is not the difficulty in caring for the child, but something else... whether or not the fetus is a living being or not.

Before the ninth week it is not a fetus. First trimester abortions do not abort fetuses.

I have very little to add to this thread except to state that I'm the resident right winger (supposedly) and I'm pro choice. :confused:

That, and:
BobG said:
Being anti-abortion isn't quite the same thing as believing it should be illegal.
...and the corollary is also true. I'm pro choice and anti-abortion.

i agree with pengwuino, this shouldn't even be an issue... first of all, if you want to kill your own child you shouldn't have had sex. You think about the responsiblities NOT the consquences... It is murder if you kill a fetus, and if that is legal that's stupid becuase then hey i want to kill my teenage kid! that's dumb too, that is what all you pro chioce people are saying! This is rediculas. I can't believe people would do this, people have sex to bring a kid into the world, now a days, "pro chioce people" probably do this, becuase it feels good, where has our morals gone? :confused:

megas said:
I can't believe people would do this, people have sex to bring a kid into the world, now a days, "pro chioce people" probably do this, becuase it feels good, where has our morals gone? :confused:

Unfortunately, that's not the way things happen in reality. It's also not true that people who are pro-choice do not think about the consequences of having sex. And it's not an accurate depiction to lump everyone who is pro-choice together and assume they are irresponsible in their sexual behavior or would automatically choose to abort a pregnancy if the were pregnant. It also remains the case that abortions are not sought only by teens with unwanted pregnancies. There are married couples who learn through amniocentesis or ultrasounds that the zygote or fetus, depending on stage of pregnancy, that there are severe genetic or developmental abnormalities, and choose to abort because they do not wish to bring a child into the world who will have an extremely poor quality of life, or because they are simply unable to care for such a child and know that nobody else will be any better able to care for such a child, so choose not to bring a child into the world only to suffer.

lawtonfogle said:
To begin with, why is it 'pro-choice' and 'anti-abortion'! Using pro gives a postive sense, while using anti gives a negative sense. Why not use 'pro-choice' and 'pro-life' or 'anti-life' and 'anti-abortion! By having the two different senses, you are making 'pro-choice' seem the better option to one who does not have any idea what all the terms mean. Is not pro better that anti?

The way you have written the choices, you show you are pro-choice (to a stereotyper at least). The choices make it look like the 'anti-abortion' look bad.

If you think due to this argument that I am a 'pro-life', then you are stereotyping. I am just telling you what you are doing.

Later I will tell you my opinion on the entire situation.

I understand where you are coming from lawtonfogle. I respect your position. I have to say that I chose that particular terminology because I wasn't sure what to use. It wasn't an attempt to make one choice seem more positive than another. I knew this thread was going to offend people no matter how I worded anything. It isn't my intent to offend anyone. I'm not trying to sterotype anyone either. My deepest apologies are extended to any and everyone who has viewed and posted in this thread if I have offended or disturbed anyone.

lawtonfogle said:
I also think, so as to clear up confusion, you tell us what your definitions are of key words such as abortions, person, human, murder, human life, ect. Postmondernism states indirectly that we can have different deffintions for such words, and since your deffinitoin might be different, your understanding of the question/reply might also be different than intended.

Again, an understandable and respected query. I do not have any 'specific' definitions for any of these terms. I was attempting to be as general as possible. The closest I could possibly come to defining any of these terms would be the following:

Murder: the intentional termination of another's life
Human: a bipedal primate mammal
Human Life: the physical exsistance of a bipedal primate mammal
Person:the physical, mental, and emotional characteristics of a human, actually I'm beginning to think the definition of human would be the same as person.
Abortion:the intentional termination of a human pregnancy.

This is all I can really define. Again I was trying to be general so these are close to an actual definition. I'm going to apologize ahead of time if any of these definitions offend anyone in any way whatsoever.

Evo said:

Evo, I'm sorry if my questioning of the general public of PF on the issue of abortion makes you sick or disgusted. I also extend my apologies to you if this thread bothers you.

Andromeda321 said:
Yes, it's something like that. I personally would never have an abortion because I could never see myself going through with it. If I got pregnant today I'd carry the baby to term then put it up for adoption because just because I'm an idiot doesn't mean I'm going to deny a child its life. (I do think in general that people seem to downplay the option of adoption regarding unwanted pregnancies.) I will, however, not stand in the way of someone else who decides to go through with it for the first two trimesters: I'm not sure where life "begins" but if the baby can't survive on its own then I won't really get in the way of it (same goes for the morning after pill). Partial birth abortion, or destroying the fetus because of its sex/ some other foolish reason I will not stand for. Life is a great thing and destroying the potential for it is truly a sad thing, and as a result abortion should be rare.
I also don't really like the "pro choice" movement because they seem to forget that last point and instead make it a whole "women power" thing. Abortion isn't simplified into such a nice little package: it's obviously a very complicated issue or else we wouldn't be gappling so hard with it. The same goes for the pro life label: nowadays that camp seems all too willing to dub someone a murderer for mentioning that in some cases an abortion might be nessecary. I think nowadays the sides have polarized way too much, which is also a reason why I am unwilling to choose either side.

This is a good point Andromeda. I understand where you're coming from. There are times I tend to lean that way myself. I might change my position on the topic. I have strong feelings about the issue mainly because of what it is we're actually talking about. Thanks for defining your position.

Evo said:

Do you honestly think that people who believe abortion to be immoral do not believe child abuse to be immoral? Seems like a strawman to me.

loseyourname said:
Do you honestly think that people who believe abortion to be immoral do not believe child abuse to be immoral? Seems like a strawman to me.

no, I think what Evo is trying to say is, why aren't the pro-lifers expressing their verbal outrage for child abuse as much as they are expressing their views on abortion? they seem to put a lot more energy on conserving a life yet not about improving the quality of those children already alive and being abused.

Abortion...MURDER!

People who had abortions are more likely to do more child abuse becuase of the stress asocciated with abortion! Also it has gotten so bad that one out of 4 people have never been born becuase of abortion, we are talking about human beings! they deserve LIFE, if that was you, wouldn't you want life? wouldn't you want to live? People who believe abortion is wrong becuase they arent giving the child a chance to live, one life to live... Its murder... I suggest reading Cantile for Lebowitz by Aurthur Miller, it proposes interesting questions about technology, and human life...

first, when i said grandparents, i meant the babies grandparents.

also, we need to teach kids to wait.

i will not try to offend anyone, but what Moonbear (to me) sounds as if he was saying is to take care of the nobodies, the excess population, kill them. that is what it sounds like to me. I understand that some people are a burrden on society, and we may have to pay for some. What one needs to know is that some of the pro-choice
would have tax money pay for abortions.

I myself would rather have taxes go to support the living than to kill unborns.

megas said:
People who had abortions are more likely to do more child abuse becuase of the stress asocciated with abortion! Also it has gotten so bad that one out of 4 people have never been born becuase of abortion, we are talking about human beings! they deserve LIFE, if that was you, wouldn't you want life? wouldn't you want to live? People who believe abortion is wrong becuase they arent giving the child a chance to live, one life to live... Its murder... I suggest reading Cantile for Lebowitz by Aurthur Miller, it proposes interesting questions about technology, and human life...

when does the (fetus/zygote/baby/single cell with 46 choromoses unquie to a human) become a human?