Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should abortion be considered murder?

Are you Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

Poll closed Mar 20, 2005.
  1. Anti-Abortion

7 vote(s)
  2. Pro-choice

20 vote(s)
  3. Indifferent

1 vote(s)
  4. Depends on the situation

8 vote(s)
  1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    Since we were straying a bit in the "Scott Peterson" thread towards abortion, I thought I would start a new thread on it so we can discuss and stay on topic :smile:

Should abortion be considered murder? Should the federal government make it illegal? If a fetus isn't a person, then what is it?

I was hoping we could discuss some of these questions from a politcal and scientific aspect. I'm trying to get a meaningful topic going here.

Let me know what you think about this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    abortion is a personal choice of the people involved. The federal government ain't got no business in it. PERIOD

PRO CHOICE ofcourse

ps you shouldn't have written pro life but contra abortion.
  4. Mar 16, 2005 #3

Gold Member

People are tried for murder every day. Are you saying the federal government 'ain't got no business in it'? Because smoke and mirrors aside, your killing a human being. If you bring in "but its my baby", you might as well say you can kill your child up until hes 18.

And ill choose a mocking tone for my next statement

ps. you shouldn't have written pro-choice but anti-life.
  5. Mar 16, 2005 #4
    Fetus=Person, so Abortion=Murder, imo.

If a couple is going to have sex then they should be ready to accept the consquences of such a decision.

Also, I think the government should NOT be involved.
  6. Mar 16, 2005 #5

Gold Member

But the government is responsible for putting murderers on trial. How wouldnt the government be involved?
  7. Mar 16, 2005 #6
    I was thinking the government should not force people to do one or the other. I was not thinking about the aspect of an abortionist (if that is a word) being a murderer. So, in that case, yes the govt probably should be involved. Sorry for not elaborating in my earlier post.

Also, what do pro-lifers (anti abortion, or whatever) think about abortions and rape? As in, should a woman who was raped be allowed to have an abortion?
  8. Mar 16, 2005 #7
    Misskitty, I think you need another option something on the lines of "it depends on the situation." Nowadays I'd be very hesitant to be painted with a huge "pro life" or "pro choice" brush because I think it depends heavily on the situation, but I am by no means "indifferent" on the issue.
  9. Mar 16, 2005 #8
    Let me see if I can figure out how to edit the poll to add the option. I thought I was missing something. Thanks Andromeda.
  10. Mar 16, 2005 #9

Gold Member

A high percentage say that should be allowed along with ones that will kill the mother/could kill the mother. As someone just said, the 2 choices are actually difficult to gauge peoples opinions. Most people who are against abortion say they would allow it for rape/possible mother death.
  11. Mar 16, 2005 #10
    I would agree that is what many people say. It has to do with the emotional/mental effect it can have on the mother, depending upon how violent the rape was. Of course every situation is different.
  12. Mar 16, 2005 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does "depends on the situation" differ from "pro-choice?"
  13. Mar 16, 2005 #12
    Probably like many people who naturally oppose abortion for their own moral reasons, but feel that women who are raped should have a choice.
  14. Mar 16, 2005 #13

Staff: Mentor

I am married with two kids. My wife is somewhat older and due to her age, we had amniocentesis performed during the first pregnancy. If there was a severe birth defect such as a neural tube defect then abortion was a possibility. The doctor had difficulities and tried twice, but failed both times to place the needle correctly. Both my wife and I were distressed, and we then decided to terminate the procedure. We took the risk that the baby would be OK.

We did not even consider amniocentesis for the second pregnancy. We simply relied on nutrition and good prenatal care.

In some extraordinary cases, the mother's life may be endangered by a pregnancy. In this case abortion is warrented. I would not surrender the life of my wife to anyone!

I think access to good contraception and the so-called 'morning after' pill (RU-486) is appropriate. It is not a fetus then.

At some point after fetal development, I personally would have a problem with abortion. If my felt had felt she needed an abortion, I would support her decision - it's her body afterall.

Fortunately, we have two reasonably healthy children.

As for others, particularly unmarried, it is none of my business. It would be nice if some people were more responsible for their sexual behavior, but again that is their business, not mine. In the end, it is an individual's matter/choice and should not be decided/determined by others.
  15. Mar 16, 2005 #14

I am pro-choice. I think an abortion for any reason is acceptable in the first trimester, second trimester, depends on the reason, third trimester if the mother or child have a health risk. Anyone who feels that they have a right to force a woman to have a child better be ready to adopt it, otherwise keep your "morals" to yourself.

There is no such thing as 100% effective birth control, aside from permanent sterilization. Accidents can happen and if the unwanted pregnancy is causing emotional stress a woman should be allowed to terminate it.

What about a married woman that has three kids and her husband runs off and leaves her with no job, three kids, no money and then finds herself pregnant with a 4th? Even if she finds a job, she won't have health insurance coverage yet and she probably won't qualify for maternity leave that soon.
  16. Mar 16, 2005 #15
    Yes, it's something like that. I personally would never have an abortion because I could never see myself going through with it. If I got pregnant today I'd carry the baby to term then put it up for adoption because just because I'm an idiot doesn't mean I'm going to deny a child its life. (I do think in general that people seem to downplay the option of adoption regarding unwanted pregnancies.) I will, however, not stand in the way of someone else who decides to go through with it for the first two trimesters: I'm not sure where life "begins" but if the baby can't survive on its own then I won't really get in the way of it (same goes for the morning after pill). Partial birth abortion, or destroying the fetus because of its sex/ some other foolish reason I will not stand for. Life is a great thing and destroying the potential for it is truly a sad thing, and as a result abortion should be rare.
    I also don't really like the "pro choice" movement because they seem to forget that last point and instead make it a whole "women power" thing. Abortion isn't simplified into such a nice little package: it's obviously a very complicated issue or else we wouldn't be gappling so hard with it. The same goes for the pro life label: nowadays that camp seems all too willing to dub someone a murderer for mentioning that in some cases an abortion might be nessecary. I think nowadays the sides have polarized way too much, which is also a reason why I am unwilling to choose either side.
  17. Mar 16, 2005 #16
    If the unborn warrant personhood status, the law should treat them as such. Society has adequate methods for addressing the untimely deaths of its members.

Rev PRez
  18. Mar 16, 2005 #17
    That is quite interesting. Care to elaborate?

Few more questions.

Should a woman who is a prostitute be allowed to have an abortion(s), for all you pro-choicers?

Also, how does everyone feel about that whole parent notification thing? As in, should parents be notified if their dependent, and under 18 year old daughter had an abortion or used the morning after pill.
  19. Mar 16, 2005 #18
    Surely there's an underlying ethic. I have a hard time believing you assign different value to the life of the unborn according to an arbitrary tripartition as a matter of first principles.

I think women shouldn't kill their kids after birth. If I'm not prepared to adopt it, then should I keep my "morals" to myself?

Rev Prez
  20. Mar 16, 2005 #19
    I marked "pro-choice" because I think the zygote should have its own choice on whether to live or not. (It can always choose to miscarriage, can't it?)

Sorry, I can be quite the idealist. :)
  21. Mar 16, 2005 #20

I think it's very clear, abortion for any reason in the first trimester, second trimester, after the 4th month, if the woman becomes emotionally incapable of going through with the pregnancy, or health issues. Third trimester, the woman should know by then if she can cope with the pregnancy, so I agree only if there are health risks to either the mother or child.

I believe in most (if not all) states, a minor cannot have an abortion without parental consent.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?