Should I go for a physics degree?

In summary, the individual did not have a strong foundation in math due to slacking off in previous years. However, they have a deep fascination with physics and are considering pursuing a physics degree alongside their current information technology degree. The individual is concerned about their current math skills and believes they may struggle with high level math courses. It is suggested that they take Calculus I and if successful, they should not worry about the math required for a physics degree as it is a prerequisite for other courses. The only necessary skills for Calculus I are basic geometry, functions, and algebra. Therefore, it is possible for the individual to pursue a physics degree if they are comfortable with these concepts.
mattattack
I never did any high level math like calculus in high school. I was in a higher level math class once though, and I didn't understand any of it, such as calculus (I also didn't have the previous foundation for that math, such as algebra since I slacked off really bad in my math classes the previous years), so I dropped out of the class for the more basic ones. And I didn't really find math exceptionally appealing (I went pretty well in it though), even though I've always had a deep fascination with physics. I'm thinking about doing a physics degree along side my current information technology degree (they would complement each other well too), if I go with the physics degree, I'll have to go all the way to the PhD if I want to work in theoretical physics. But the thing is, I don't think my current math skills will cut it, I reckon I will struggle if I went for it, or I might just have an innate inability to do high level math.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should take calculus (and all its prerequisites). If you do well, then you can consider a degree in physics.

If you want to go for a physics degree, here is a taste of the kind of math courses that you would be expected to take:
1. Single-variable calculus (Calculus I)
2. Multivariable calculus
3. Linear Algebra
4. Ordinary differential equations

If you do well in Calculus I, then you shouldn't worry about the math since Calculus I is the prerequisite for 2., 3., and 4. And to do well in Calculus I, you only need to be comfortable with basic geometry, functions, and basic algebra. Therefore, if you're comfortable with these 3, then I don't see why you cannot go for the physics degree.

1. Should I go for a physics degree if I am not particularly good at math?

While math skills are certainly important for studying physics, they are not the only factor that determines success in this field. Many students find that their math skills improve as they delve deeper into physics concepts. Additionally, there are often resources available, such as tutoring or study groups, to help students who may struggle with math. It is important to have a strong interest and passion for physics, as well as a willingness to work hard and seek help when needed, in order to be successful in a physics degree program.

2. What job opportunities are available with a physics degree?

A physics degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities, both within the field of physics and in other industries. Some common job titles for physics graduates include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, and teacher. Additionally, the problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills developed during a physics degree can be applied to various fields, such as finance, technology, and healthcare.

3. Is it possible to pursue a physics degree while also working or having other commitments?

While it may be challenging, it is certainly possible to pursue a physics degree while also working or having other commitments. Many universities offer part-time or online programs that allow students to have a flexible schedule. It is important to carefully manage time and prioritize tasks in order to balance the demands of a physics degree with other responsibilities.

4. Can I switch to a physics degree if I have already started a different major?

It is possible to switch to a physics degree, but it may require additional time and coursework. Depending on your current major and the university's requirements, you may need to complete certain prerequisites before officially changing your major. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to discuss the best plan of action for switching to a physics degree.

5. What skills do I need to be successful in a physics degree program?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and science, successful physics students possess critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a curiosity for understanding how the world works. Time-management, organization, and communication skills are also important for managing coursework and collaborating with peers. It is also important to have a passion for physics and a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new theories and concepts.