1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Should I read University Physics by Freeman & Young right no

1. Jun 8, 2016 #1
    I just graduated from high school and will begin university physics classes in 2 months. Even though I got decent grades, I feel as though there are still some gaps in my knowledge.

I have Calculus by Stewart and University physics. Which one should I start reading and hope to complete in 2 months and get adequate background for college-level physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2016 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

From my experience in college level calculus and physics, the most common struggle students have is not with either subjects but with their algebra and trig. I would spend a significant time ensuring those skills are up to par. As a grader, it was a bit sad how often students would apply the concepts correctly but forget how to factor a trinomial or use the correct trig identity at the pivotal moment.

If you're confident in your algebra and trig skills, I would go for calculus first. Simply so you won't have to be learning about limits and derivatives at the same time you're applying them in physics. I would also forget the idea of "completing" either of those books in 2 books. Slow and thoughtful understanding will serve you better than a quick and pseudo understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted