1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I stay in Australia or go to USA for my studies?

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    I am currently studying undergrad at the University of Melbourne in Australia majoring in Physics but I have also been accepted into the freshman class at the University of California Santa Barbara majoring in Physics also. The cost of studying in Australia is about AU$4160 which is about USD$3733 per year. The cost of an international student at UC Santa Barbara including on campus housing is USD$ 53,000 per year.

Which school would be better for me in "your" opinion? Because I don't know how good are both these schools ranked internationally as I am not a US citizen so I can't work in the US in the future.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Assuming that the cost you state for studying in Australia includes housing (or perhaps you'll live with your parents), the difference in cost is about USD$49,000 per year, or $196,000 for four years.

If you or your parents have enough money on hand to pay that sum without going into debt, then I would suggest staying at U of Melbourne and investing that amount wisely. Then when you are ready to retire, you will have a very nice nest-egg regardless of what kind of jobs you are able to get with a degree from Melbourne! :biggrin:

If you have to go into debt to finance that sum, then I'd say forget it. The kind of jobs you get with a physics degree don't pay enough to make re-paying that amount of loans a manageable burden IMO.

4. Jun 27, 2011 #3
    Melbourne is an excellent uni. Stay there and save the cash.

5. Jun 28, 2011 #4
    If you want to study in the states do it for graduate school. if you're a good candidate it will cost you next to nothing (you'll get paid next to nothing as well)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook