Should I Switch from Chemical Engineering to Mathematics?

In summary, the individual is studying a chemical engineering degree but is not satisfied with the engineering approach to mathematics. They are considering switching to studying math, but others advise against it. The individual also expresses dislike for certain chemistry courses and questions the usefulness of certain topics. Others suggest that as an engineer, it is important to have both a curious and practical side and that a more rigorous study of mathematics would benefit them. Ultimately, the individual must make their own decision.
Deathcrush
I'm studying the second year of a chemical engineering degree. I have always loved mathematics, and I am pretty good at them, and since the beginning I am not satisfied with the engineering approach to mathematics, I would like to learn some more complicated math, but I'm not quite sure if I should switch because I think a would find a better job as a ChemE. I do like the chemical engineering part, (and I love physics also), it's just that I would like to know more math, also, I have found that I totally HATE some of the chemistry courses i have taken (I hate organic chemistry) since I only like the really useful part of chemistry, and I'm commonly forced to learn lots of reaction mechanisms that are not even used, and are only based in experimental data. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Deathcrush said:
I'm studying the second year of a chemical engineering degree. I have always loved mathematics, and I am pretty good at them, and since the beginning I am not satisfied with the engineering approach to mathematics, I would like to learn some more complicated math, but I'm not quite sure if I should switch because I think a would find a better job as a ChemE. I do like the chemical engineering part, (and I love physics also), it's just that I would like to know more math, also, I have found that I totally HATE some of the chemistry courses i have taken (I hate organic chemistry) since I only like the really useful part of chemistry, and I'm commonly forced to learn lots of reaction mechanisms that are not even used, and are only based in experimental data. What do you guys think?

A switch to math is a pretty big switch, and i don't recommend it. By all means study math more formally (you will be a better engineer by that) if you are not happy with the engineering approach. Engineers and physicists tend to take an intuitive approach (with many exceptions, of course) to math, and hence sometime rigor is lacking. Math is rigorous, but sometimes is so very abstract as to be far (one is free to travel far though) from physical meaning (with many exceptions, of course).

As an engineer myself, my advice is to stay in engineering. Math is a nice place to visit, but you may not want to live there. Consider your comments about not liking organic chemistry because it's not useful to you.

Last edited:
I know it is useful for me, at some level, but since I share the class with pure chemistry and biology students, there are many things on the program that are not very useful for a chemical engineer, reactions that are only useful in the lab, for example there are lots of methods for producing aldehides and ketones, but few of them have relevance in the industry,and it is okay to know them all, but I'm required to memorize them, and I don't find that very useful

Consider whether the following make sense to you.

As a mathematician you will be able to do math. Of which there is an enormous amount already. Math of nothing in particular, just math.

Whereas as an engineer, if mathematically inclined, you can do the math of something. Problems which only the engineer knows and can formulate.

As mathematician you will up against competitors - you know, you will have seen those blokes with pale faces and spectacles who seem fiendishly clever. Maybe some seem but maybe some are.

Whereas as engineer you are more likely to meet people who are glad if you handle their math problems for them. There should always be a place in the profession for those with more mathematical tastes. Sure a lot of it computeristic modelling of processes, optimisation etc. If that's too dull for you maybe better be a mathematician.

Later on or whenever you have time you can learn math from a book. It is about the only thing in the world you can learn almost entirely from a book. You cannot learn much chem eng. from a book I imagine, without experience and participation and meeting the installations etc. So you are getting the professional entry to something valuable, almost privileged. Augment it but don't throw it away.

But only you can have the feel of what's right for you.

Deathcrush said:
I know it is useful for me, at some level, but since I share the class with pure chemistry and biology students, there are many things on the program that are not very useful for a chemical engineer, reactions that are only useful in the lab, for example there are lots of methods for producing aldehides and ketones, but few of them have relevance in the industry,and it is okay to know them all, but I'm required to memorize them, and I don't find that very useful

I understand completely. I'm not criticizing your opinion at all. Engineers have two sides (among many). The curious side makes them want to learn many things and understand them as best as possible. The practical side wants to know exactly what is needed for applications.

The only thing I can say is that your comments, and reading between the lines, tell me you are an engineer. This tells me that you will enjoy and benefit from a more rigorous study of mathematics, but that a change in professions would not be a good option for you personally.

This is just a gut level guess. Obviously, you have to make your own decision on this.

Deathcrush said:

IMHO You will do well to put that aside for now. It is very common for some students to be inhibited by this :rolleyes:fright that they may invest some time in studying something that they are not going to actually find an application for. I mean if you applied that to every book you've ever read, did you calculate its usefulness beforehand? It is not possible to learn following that principle and it is not possible to teach that way either.

I think there is probably a bit more logic and sense in the various methods than just learning by heart, try and get that. The methods they use in the lab. now may not be those of chemical industry, but hopefully those in the chemical industry now will not be those they are developing for the future either. So not all that much more relevant. Perhaps someone can recommend some easy reading in Green Chemistry, anyone?

FAQ: Should I Switch from Chemical Engineering to Mathematics?

1. Should I switch to Mathematics if I am struggling with my current major?

Switching to Mathematics can be a good option if you are struggling with your current major. Mathematics is a highly versatile and in-demand field, and having a strong foundation in math can open up many opportunities for you in various industries.

2. Will switching to Mathematics limit my career options?

Switching to Mathematics does not necessarily limit your career options. Math majors can work in a variety of fields such as data analysis, finance, education, and even in the tech industry. Additionally, having a strong mathematical background can also make you a desirable candidate for many jobs.

3. Is it too late to switch to Mathematics?

No, it is never too late to switch to Mathematics. Many students switch their majors at different points in their academic career and still go on to have successful careers in math-related fields. It may require some additional coursework and dedication, but it is definitely possible.

4. Do I need to be good at math to switch to Mathematics?

While having a strong aptitude for math can certainly be helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement to switch to Mathematics. With hard work and dedication, anyone can improve their math skills and succeed in the field of mathematics.

5. What are the benefits of switching to Mathematics?

Switching to Mathematics can have many benefits, such as developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many industries. Additionally, math majors often have high job satisfaction and can have opportunities for higher salaries and career growth.