Should I take Graduate level QM as an undergrad?

In summary, taking Graduate level QM as an undergraduate may be a good idea if you are interested in pursuing a career in Astrophysics and do not have a strong background in QM. It can be tricky at times, but it may be worth it if you can devote the time necessary.
Ciliviel
I have been wondering if I should take Graduate level QM as an undergraduate. I'm currently signed up for a two quarter QM series, I have already taken a one quarter introduction to QM. I am a bit apprehensive as I am unsure if they assume vast QM knowledge (which I would sort of expect seeing as it is a Graduate level). One plus side is that I know a few others that are taking this course as well which would enable me to form a study group, which would obviously aid in learning more.

I would like to take a full year of Graduate level quantum mechanics because so far I really enjoy the material, at least what I have taken in the introduction course, and taking this series would allow me to pursue QFT my senior year. I ultimately want to go to graduate school for Astrophysics, where I doubt I would be introduced to QFT.

Physics news on Phys.org
I say do it if you think you can devote enough time to material that is at a higher level than you require, it's interesting. I got to say though, it can be tricky at times. don't do it if you think you'll end up needing to spend excessive time on it and have to neglect other work that needs doing.

I'd be wary of graduate QM. Relativistic QM, for example, and QFT if it is covered in those courses, require a fairly good understanding of e/m and possibly group theory beyond something like Griffiths.

Graduate QM assumes you've already taken two undergraduate QM classes. It's not going over the same material. I'm not sure what your introduction to QM class was (could have been anything from actual QM to chemistry) but it probably wasn't enough. However, the only way to be sure it ask the professor teaching the class.

The introduction to QM was based on https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805387161/?tag=pfamazon01-20

We covered essentially the entire book emitting one or two chapters. It covered bound/unbound cases, the Hydrogen atom, the 3-D time-independent Schrodinger Equation, time dependent/independent perturbation theory, variational principle, and multi-particle systems etc.

The two quarter sequence that I would be taking (non-graduate level) would be based on Griffiths. I however find it odd that one only needs one quarter of this two quarter sequence to receive a BS in Physics. I would assume that many would go to graduate school where they would be faced with taking graduate level quantum mechanics, and I've heard that the first quarter is a lot of review of what was taught in this introductory course.

Also I have thought about the time commitment. What I have heard from this forum and others is that graduate courses are much more time intensive. I would be taking a medium sized load, one of which will be E&M which honestly may be an issue, because what it sounds like graduate level quantum mechanics seems to presume that one has already taken at least a full year of this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest taking the class. You seem reasonably prepared besides the E&M.

eri said:
Graduate QM assumes you've already taken two undergraduate QM classes. It's not going over the same material.

+1

It's also typically taught assuming that the students do not need to be taught things that are typically taught as undergrads. "We separate the variables and then switch to parabolic coordinates" is something you'd be expected to immediately understand.

Would it be okay to take graduate quantum your senior year if you had previously taken both a two semester E&M and two semester undergrad Quantum course (using the Griffiths book for each)? My advisor said that you really need to have a solid of understanding of Quantum to later go into Quantum field theory and other theoretical fields of research so I thought taking two consecutive years of quantum might make sense, especially if there are no prerequisites in between. I will have also taken a full year of topology, abstract algebra, and analysis since I want to double major in math.

1. Should I take Graduate level QM as an undergrad?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and academic abilities. If you are highly interested in quantum mechanics and have a strong foundation in mathematics, taking graduate level QM as an undergrad can be a valuable experience. However, if you are struggling with your current undergraduate courses or are not planning on pursuing a graduate degree in a related field, it may be best to focus on mastering the fundamentals first.

2. Will taking Graduate level QM as an undergrad give me an advantage in graduate school?

If you plan on pursuing a graduate degree in a field that heavily relies on quantum mechanics, taking graduate level QM as an undergrad can give you a solid foundation and may make the transition to graduate school smoother. However, it is important to note that graduate level courses can be significantly more challenging and time-consuming compared to undergraduate courses, so be prepared for the workload.

3. Can I handle the difficulty level of Graduate level QM as an undergrad?

This depends on your academic background and study habits. Graduate level QM courses are typically more rigorous and require a strong understanding of mathematics. If you have a strong foundation in linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations, you may be able to handle the difficulty level. It is important to assess your strengths and weaknesses and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

4. What are the benefits of taking Graduate level QM as an undergrad?

Aside from gaining a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics, taking graduate level QM as an undergrad can also demonstrate your commitment and dedication to the subject to potential graduate schools or employers. It can also help you stand out in a competitive job market, as it shows your ability to take on challenging coursework and your interest in advancing your knowledge.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking Graduate level QM as an undergrad?

This varies depending on the university and the specific course. In general, a strong understanding of linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations is necessary. Some universities may also require prior knowledge of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the course instructor to determine if you have the necessary background to succeed in the course.