Is Number Theory Worth Studying for Physicists?

In summary, the conversation is between a sophomore physics/math major seeking advice on whether to take a number theory course during their undergrad years. The general consensus is that if the student is interested in number theory and enjoys math, they should take the course. However, it is not necessary for their physics education. It is also suggested that they take a course in abstract algebra, as it covers some basic aspects of number theory and is relevant to physics. There is also mention of the potential connections between number theory and quantum gravity. The student ultimately decides to take both number theory and abstract algebra courses.
manlyman62
Hello! I am a sophmore physics/math major who will probably be going into Mathematical or Theoretical Physics. My question is should I take Number Theory at some point during my undergrad years? On the one hand, it looks like an interesting/fun class (and I love math :) ) , but I've heard it's just pure math and doesn't have many practical applications. Advice on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're taking math classes to further your physics education, then it isn't too important IMO. But otherwise, take it if you're interested in it.

Number theory is explicitly about the numbers, and it's born of algebra, and in an undergrad class, it should have absolutely no connection to the physics you are doing (which should involve global and local techniques in classical geometry).

You may find it more interesting and useful for your physics education to take a course in abstract algebra. An introduction to groups and rings will cover some of the very basic aspects of elementary number theory and is very relevant to physics. Additionally, I found it was much easier to go through basic number theory concepts after having basic knowledge of group/ring/field theory.

If you go into quantum gravity, things like infinite Galois theory, cohomology, and algebraic geometry are very important tools from algebraic number theory that one wouldn't necessarily learn in an abstract algebra course.

There's also that cool connection between calculating Etale motives and residues of Feynman integrals, if you're into that.

Ok thanks for the advice guys! There are several slots for electives in my schedule, so one of them is definitely going to be used for number theory! Also, abstract algebra is required for my math major, so ill be taking that as well.

Number theory is amazing. Take it for the math.

1. Should I take Number Theory if I am not good at math?

No, Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. It requires a strong foundation in basic math concepts and advanced problem-solving skills.

2. Will taking Number Theory help me in my future career?

Yes, Number Theory is a foundational subject in mathematics and is applicable in many fields, such as cryptography, computer science, and engineering. It also helps develop critical thinking and analytical skills which are valuable in any career.

3. How difficult is Number Theory compared to other math courses?

Number Theory can be challenging, but the difficulty level may vary depending on the individual's background and interest in the subject. It involves a lot of abstract thinking and proofs, which may be new and difficult for some students.

4. What are the benefits of taking Number Theory?

Number Theory helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and abstract reasoning skills. It also provides a deeper understanding of numbers and their properties, which can be applied in various fields of study.

5. Can I take Number Theory without taking other math courses?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts before taking Number Theory. However, some universities may offer introductory courses in Number Theory that do not have any prerequisites. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to determine if it is possible to take Number Theory without prior math courses.