Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Should we search for non-biological "life"?

1. Oct 28, 2017 #21

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

We could take a cue from science fiction. The Star Gate TV show had an enemy called replicators. They would infest a ship and dismantle it to create more replicators. They resembled crabs. Their behavior was similar to an insect colony like bees or ants. I imagine that AI behavior would more likely utilize a distributed and modular form much like the replicators. In later shows the replicators evolved to be more human like but they continued to maintain their colony behavior.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicator_(Stargate)

2. Oct 28, 2017 #22

SciencewithDrJ

Gold Member

Thank you for the input. I agree we won't be able to tell one from the other if it is only radio signals. Unless of course somehow we detect biochemical signature of carbon-based life similar to ours, although I find this highly improbable considering the vast distances (at least with today's technology).

3. Oct 28, 2017 #23

SciencewithDrJ

Gold Member

Thank you for the input. I have not seen this series, and now that you mention it, I would like to look it up.

4. Oct 28, 2017 #24

Drakkith

Stargate SG-1 had 10 seasons (and a couple of straight-to-DVD movies which tidied up the very end of the show), which should tell you that many people thought it was a great show. I highly recommend it. If you haven't seen the movie, I'd recommend seeing the movie first and then starting with the show. The movie itself is pretty good on its own, so it's not like you'll be suffering to sit through it till you get to the show. :biggrin:

5. Oct 28, 2017 #25

SciencewithDrJ

Gold Member

Thank you again for the tip. I will surely find it.

6. Oct 29, 2017 #26

ISamson

Gold Member

Isn't the whole point of looking for 'life' to find a biological species? Why should we look for non-biological 'life' if we want to find biological life?

7. Oct 29, 2017 #27

SciencewithDrJ

Gold Member

Lately there were lots of worries about future development of advanced AI on Earth may eventually lead to the extermination of the human race. It made me wonder if an advanced civilization somewhere in the galaxy may have already created such conscious AI. If we detect radio signals, but no biochemical signature, it may be a clue that this already happened somewhere. In which case, we may indeed have to worry about aliens, as Stephen Hawking indicated a couple of years ago.

8. Oct 29, 2017 #28

ISamson

Gold Member

You know, that most of what I told you was from the book I mentioned before by Michio Kaku?
    There were entire chapters on this... I would not be able to summarise quickly here...:smile:

9. Oct 29, 2017 #29

SciencewithDrJ

Gold Member

I look forward to reading that.

10. Oct 29, 2017 #30

ISamson

Gold Member

I am glad...

11. Oct 29, 2017 #31
    Not much. Digital objects are very cheap to maintain, because they don't need to raise their body temperature, they don't need to eat or drink or whatever, all they need is a small amount of electricity, which will go to an extremely efficient and tiny processor. So not very much.

On the plus side however, digital lifeforms cna leave a footprint that biological life can't in space - via magnetic waves. Not that they'd be sizeable enough to notice, but they will exist, unlike biological life in space which will be sealed shut.

Also the idea that digital life would evolve independent of biological is rather, rather unlikely. Metal doesn't magically organize itself into very complicated and dense objects, not to an astronomical probability. So you'll probably find both, or if not both, the sign of the biological life along with the latter.

But as an aside on the AI topic, I would be very cautious, because as well all know, that is not actually Mozart's orchestra playing in the speaker when we play a composition. It is a replica. What I think is extremely likely and scary is that we will create a replica AI, which will behave like a human, but have no internal consciousness, partly because it's not housed in a single celled organism, it's housed on hard drives, in and out of memory, on electrons. Pinpointing the physical location of the AI is problematic enough, designing an actual AI versus a glorified chat bot is going to be the really hard thing.

12. Oct 29, 2017 #32

SciencewithDrJ

Gold Member

Thank you for the great insight. Wouldn't this AI be able to "modify" its future generations to higher sophistication, so that even though there is no natural mutation as is the case in DNA molecules, it may still self "mutate" by designing and assembling variants of its "ancestral" design?

13. Oct 29, 2017 #33

berkeman

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

14. Oct 29, 2017 #34

jim mcnamara

Thread locked - due to speculation. Please do not "guess" and theorize, use real research based citation with peer reviewed journals if possible

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook