Show Convergence of sequence (1 + c)(1 + c^2) (1 + c^n)

In summary, the homework statement is asking for a solution to a problem where c is an integer and an is a sequence of terms that are summed not multiplied. The suggestion is to use the theorem that any bounded monotone sequence is convergent and either find the limit or use induction to prove that the sequence is convergent. The attempt at a solution is to use the statement c = 1/b to show that an is bounded and convergent. However, the student is having trouble proving that 1+c^2 <= e^(c^n). They suggest using the first equation to prove that 1+c<=e^(c) and then using the second equation to prove that 1+c^2<
looserlama

Homework Statement

Hey, so here is the problem:

Suppose 0≤c<1 and let an = (1 + c)(1 + c2)...(1 + cn) for integer n≥1. Show that this sequence is convergent.

Well I understand the basic concepts of proving convergence of sequences, but in class we've only ever done it with sequences where the terms are summed not multiplied like this one is. I guess I'm just having trouble figuring out where to go really...

Homework Equations

I guessed we either need to use the theorem that says any bounded monotone sequence is convergent.

Or by simply finding the limit L and proving that the sequence converges to L.

The Attempt at a Solution

There's a suggestion that says " Show that 1 + c ≤ ec ".

I did that by showing that if c = 0, then 1 + 0 = e0 = 1

And then for any c>0 d/dc(1 + c) < d/dc(ec).

Therefore for any c≥0, 1 + c ≤ ec.

Now I don't really know how to use this to solve my problem.

I tried to show that the sequence is monotone:

As an+1 = an(1+cn+1)

Therefore an+1 ≥ an

Therefore an is non-decreasing, therefore monotone.

But now I have no idea what to do. I really need help cause my prof just says that it should be obvious.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi looserlama! welcome to pf! :smile:
looserlama said:
There's a suggestion that says " Show that 1 + c ≤ ec ".

Now I don't really know how to use this to solve my problem.

hint: 1 + c2 ≤ … ? :wink:

thanks tiny-tim.

Would it not be 1 + c2 ≤ ec2 ?

Does that just mean (1 + c)(1 + c2)...(1 + cn) ≤ ecec2...ecn = ec + c2 + ... + cn = e(c - cn+1)/(1 - c)

That's probably taking it too far, I just don't really understand where to go with that?

looserlama said:
thanks tiny-tim.

Would it not be 1 + c2 ≤ ec2 ?

Does that just mean (1 + c)(1 + c2)...(1 + cn) ≤ ecec2...ecn = ec + c2 + ... + cn = e(c - cn+1)/(1 - c)

That's probably taking it too far, I just don't really understand where to go with that?

That's not taking it too far. Take it even farther. e^((c - c^(n+1))/(1 - c)))<=e^(c/(1-c)). So your products are bounded from above. Now what?

Oh yea, so if an is smaller than a finite number, then it's bounded from above and given an ≥ 0, it's bounded. Therefore it's convergent.

But I need to prove that 1 + cn ≤ ecn for any integer n ≥ 1 .

I don't know how to do that?

The only way I can think of is with induction, so this is what I have:

Basic Step: For n = 0

1 + c ≤ ec

Inductive Step:

If the statement holds for integer k ≥ 1, then

1 + ck ≤ eck

so 1 + ck + 1 ≤ ceck

but how do I show that ceck ≤ eck + 1 ?

Last edited:
looserlama said:
Oh yea, so if an is smaller than a finite number, then it's bounded from above and given an ≥ 0, it's bounded. Therefore it's convergent.

But I need to prove that 1 + cn ≤ ecn.

I think I found a way to show that a + cn ≤ ec for any integer n ≥ 1, this is what I did (not sure it's right though):

0 ≤ c < 1 , therefore c = 1/b for b > 1.

So we want to show that 1 + 1/bn ≤ e1/b

-We already know this statement is true if n = 1 (cause I already showed that)

-For any n > 1 :

d/dn(1 + 1/bn) = -n/bn-1

d/dn(e1/b) = 0

So -n/bn-1 < 0

Therefore 1 + 1/bn ≤ e1/b

So 1 + cn ≤ ec for 0 ≤ c < 1

Is that a rigorously correct proof?
(I guess I could just use induction instead, given it's just for integers n)

So changing the solution using this, we get:

an = (1 + c)(1 + c2)...(1 + cn) ≤ ecec...ec = ec + c +...+ c = enc which is a finite number.

Therefore an is bounded, so an is convergent.

That makes sense right?

Now you are deviating from the correct path. Sure, an<=e^(nc). But that's no use. As n->infinity e^(nc) goes to infinity. Bad. And proving 1+c^n<e^(c^n) is no real trick if you've already proved 1+c<e^c. Just substitute c^n for c!

Yea I saw that what I wrote before was wrong, so I edited my previous post.

I just am having trouble rigorously proving that 1 + c^2 <= e^(c^n). See my edited post for what I did.

looserlama said:
Yea I saw that what I wrote before was wrong, so I edited my previous post.

I just am having trouble rigorously proving that 1 + c^2 <= e^(c^n). See my edited post for what I did.

If 1+c<=e^(c) then 1+c^2<=e^(c^2). Just substitute c^2 for c in the first equation. I told you that. You don't need a separate proof if you already proved the first one.

Oh I see. U was thinking about that the wrong way.

Thanks Dick

1. What is the purpose of showing the convergence of the sequence (1 + c)(1 + c^2) (1 + c^n)?

The purpose of showing the convergence of this sequence is to determine whether the sequence approaches a specific value or limit as n approaches infinity. This information can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

2. How do you show the convergence of the sequence (1 + c)(1 + c^2) (1 + c^n)?

To show convergence, we can use the limit comparison test or ratio test. These tests involve comparing the given sequence to a known convergent or divergent series and using mathematical manipulation to determine the convergence or divergence of the given sequence.

3. What is the value of the limit of the sequence (1 + c)(1 + c^2) (1 + c^n) as n approaches infinity?

The value of the limit of the sequence is dependent on the value of c. If c is equal to 1, the limit will approach infinity. If c is any other value, the limit will approach 0. This can be proven using the limit comparison test or ratio test.

4. Can the convergence of the sequence (1 + c)(1 + c^2) (1 + c^n) be proven for all values of c?

Yes, the convergence of this sequence can be proven for all values of c using various mathematical tests and techniques. However, the specific method used may differ depending on the value of c.

5. How can the convergence of the sequence (1 + c)(1 + c^2) (1 + c^n) be applied in real-world situations?

The convergence of this sequence can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of a physical system or to calculate the amount of time it takes for a process to reach a specific value. It can also be used in data analysis and financial modeling.