Showing an operator is well-defined

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary: I don't want to specify what at this point)?##h H## is the set ##\{h h_1 | h_1 \in H\}##And what is ##g h H##, where ##g## is an element of something else?If ##g## is an element of ##G##, then ##g h H = \{g h h_1 | h_1 \in H\}##.This is a great start, but let's be even more careful. Suppose I write ##g h H##. I am asking you to write this in set notation. That will be a set involving ##g## and ##h## and ##H##.##g
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##H## be a normal subgroup of a group ##(G, \star)##, and define ##G/H## as that set which contains all of the left cosets of ##H## in ##G##. Define the binary operator ##\hat{\star}## acting on the elements of ##G/H## as ##g H \hat{\star} g' K = (g \star g') H##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having difficulty demonstrating that ##\hat{\star}## is well-defined. I understand that it is two cosets to be equal. So, for instance, we could have

##g_1 H = g_2 H##

and

##g_3 H = g_4 H##

So, to show that the operator is well-defined, I would have to show that

##g_1 H \hat{\star} g_3 H = g_2 H \hat{\star} g_4 H##

is true. However, I am having difficulty with this. If I understand correctly, ##g_1 H = g_2 H## does not necessarily imply that ##g_1 = g_2##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
##g H \hat{\star} g' K = (g \star g') H##.
##g H \hat{\star} g' H = (g \star g') H## presumably.
Bashyboy said:
##g_1 H \hat{\star} g_3 H = g_2 H \hat{\star} g_4 H##
Yes, but write out what that means according to the definition of ##\hat{\star}##. Then consider what ##(g_1 \star g_3) H## is as a set.

So, let me see if I understand correctly. ##g_1 H~ \hat{\star} ~g_3 H = (g_1 \star g_3) H## is simply some set, as well as ##g_2 H~ \hat{\star}~ g_4 H = (g_2 \star g_4) H##; and we are trying to establish the equality of the sets ##(g_1 \star g_3) H## and ##(g_2 \star g_4) H##. Would we do this by considering an arbitrary element in each set, and then showing that they are equivalent?

Bashyboy said:
So, let me see if I understand correctly. ##g_1 H~ \hat{\star} ~g_3 H = (g_1 \star g_3) H## is simply some set, as well as ##g_2 H~ \hat{\star}~ g_4 H = (g_2 \star g_4) H##; and we are trying to establish the equality of the sets ##(g_1 \star g_3) H## and ##(g_2 \star g_4) H##.
Yes.
Bashyboy said:
Would we do this by considering an arbitrary element in each set, and then showing that they are equivalent?
No. It will not in general be true that ##g_1 \star g_3 \star g = g_2 \star g_4 \star g##.
Write out what ##g_3 H## means in set-theoretic notation (like, {some expression involving h : h element of H}), then extend that to what ##(g_1 \star g_3) H## means.

Use that H is NORMAL. That's very important.

Well, the set ##g_3H## is ##\{g_3 h | h \in H\}##, and ##(g_1 \star g_3) H## would be ##\{g_1 g_3 h | h \in H \}##. Because ##H## is normal, that means every ##g \in G## and every ##h \in H##, there exists and ##h_1 \in H## such that ##h## can be written as ##h = g h_1 g^{-1}##.

Does this mean that there are many representations of ##h##? Does this mean that I should be able to write ##h## in a similar manner as above for any ##g##? For instance, I could write ##h = g_1 h_1 g_1^{-1}##, or ##h = g_2 h_1 g_2^{-1}##?

Bashyboy said:
Well, the set ##g_3H## is ##\{g_3 h | h \in H\}##, and ##(g_1 \star g_3) H## would be ##\{g_1 g_3 h | h \in H \}##. Because ##H## is normal, that means every ##g \in G## and every ##h \in H##, there exists and ##h_1 \in H## such that ##h## can be written as ##h = g h_1 g^{-1}##.

Does this mean that there are many representations of ##h##? Does this mean that I should be able to write ##h## in a similar manner as above for any ##g##? For instance, I could write ##h = g_1 h_1 g_1^{-1}##, or ##h = g_2 h_1 g_2^{-1}##?

Not with the same ##h_1##. I usually think of the definition of ##H## being normal as ##gH=Hg## for any element ##g##. Do you see how H being normal implies that if ##g_1 H=g_2 H## then there are elements of ##H##, ##h## and ##h'## such that ##g_1=g_2 h## and ##g_1=h' g_2##?

I realize that if ##H## is normal, then, as you said, ##gH = Hg## ##\forall g \in G##. In particular, ##g_2 H = H g_2##. Returning to the assumption that ##g_1 H = g_2 H##, this can be written as ##g_1 H = Hg_2##.

So, every element in ##g_1 H## will also be in ##g_2 H## and ##Hg_2##. So, because ##g_1 \in g_1 H##, then it must be true that there exist ##h_1 , h_2 \in H## such that ##g_1 = g_2 h_1## and ##g_1 = h_2 g_2##, as you have written. But I am having difficulty connecting that with what we have already covered.

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
So, let me see if I understand correctly. ##g_1 H~ \hat{\star} ~g_3 H = (g_1 \star g_3) H## is simply some set, as well as ##g_2 H~ \hat{\star}~ g_4 H = (g_2 \star g_4) H##; and we are trying to establish the equality of the sets ##(g_1 \star g_3) H## and ##(g_2 \star g_4) H##. Would we do this by considering an arbitrary element in each set, and then showing that they are equivalent?

You want to show that if ##g_1 H=g_2 H## and ##g_3 H=g_4 H## then ##g_1 g_3 H=g_2 g_4 H##. Try to convert one side into the other.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but this problem is giving me great difficulty. We know that ##g_1 = g_2 h_1## and ##g_1 = g_2 h_2##, allowing me to make the substitutions:

##(g_1 \star g_3 ) H = (g_2 h_1 \star g_3) H##

or

##(g_1 \star g_3 ) H = (h_2 g_2 \star g_3)H##

But I do not see how either would be helpful, unless I could somehow eliminate ##h_1## and ##h_2##.

Bashyboy said:
I am sorry, but this problem is giving me great difficulty. We know that ##g_1 = g_2 h_1## and ##g_1 = g_2 h_2##, allowing me to make the substitutions:

##(g_1 \star g_3 ) H = (g_2 h_1 \star g_3) H##

or

##(g_1 \star g_3 ) H = (h_2 g_2 \star g_3)H##

But I do not see how either would be helpful, unless I could somehow eliminate ##h_1## and ##h_2##.

What is ##h H## where ##h## is an element of ##H##?

Wouldn't it be that ##hH = H##? No, because if ##h \ne e_H##, then ##hH## would not contain the identity element.

Bashyboy said:
Wouldn't it be that ##hH = H##? No, because if ##h \ne e_H##, then ##hH## would not contain the identity element.

Think again. ##h^{-1}## is in ##H##.

Oh, of course! So, then how can I use this fact to simplify ##(g_2 h_1 \star g_3)H##? Would I write ##(g_2 h_1 \star g_3)H = g_2 H ~ \hat{\star} ~h_1 H~ \hat{ \star}~ g_3 H##. And then I can use the fact that ##h_1 H = H = e_H H##. Finally, I would do a similar substitution for ##g_3##. Does sound correct?

Bashyboy said:
Oh, of course! So, then how can I use this fact to simplify ##(g_2 h_1 \star g_3)H##? Would I write ##(g_2 h_1 \star g_3)H = g_2 H ~ \hat{\star} ~h_1 H~ \hat{ \star}~ g_3 H##. And then I can use the fact that ##h_1 H = H = e_H H##. Finally, I would do a similar substitution for ##g_3##. Does sound correct?

It's a little awkward. How about ##g_2 h_1 g_3 H=g_2 h_1 H g_3=g_2 H g_3=g_2 g_3 H##? Can you justify those steps?

Yes, I can. You seem to use the fact that ##g_3 H = H g_3## twice, and the fact that ##h_1 H = H## in between using the aforementioned fact. Is that right?

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
Yes, I can. You seem to use the fact that ##g_3 H = H g_3## twice, and the fact that ##h_1 H = H## in between using the aforementioned fact. Is that right?
Exactly.

Likes Bashyboy
Hold on. I don't understand why we have to use the fact that ##H## is normal. We know that ##g_1 \in g_1 H##, and because ##g_1 H = g_2##, we know that ##g_1 = g_2 h_1##; similarly, ##g_3 = g_4h_2##

##g_1 H ~ \hat{\star} ~ g_3 H = g_2 h_1 H ~ \hat{\star} ~ g_4h_2 H##

Because ##hH = H## ##\forall h \in H##, we get

##g_1 H~ \hat{\star}~ g_3 H = g_2 H~ \hat{\star}~ g_4 H##

Thus, the different representations get mapped to the same thing.

Bashyboy said:
Hold on. I don't understand why we have to use the fact that ##H## is normal. We know that ##g_1 \in g_1 H##, and because ##g_1 H = g_2##, we know that ##g_1 = g_2 h_1##; similarly, ##g_3 = g_4h_2##

##g_1 H ~ \hat{\star} ~ g_3 H = g_2 h_1 H ~ \hat{\star} ~ g_4h_2 H##

Because ##hH = H## ##\forall h \in H##, we get

##g_1 H~ \hat{\star}~ g_3 H = g_2 H~ \hat{\star}~ g_4 H##

Thus, the different representations get mapped to the same thing.

Indeed. But you also need that ##g_1 H g_3 H=g_1 g_3 HH=g_1 g_3 H##. That shows that the product of two cosets is a coset. If ##H## isn't normal that's not necessarily true.

##g_1 H g_3 H=g_1 g_3 HH=g_1 g_3 H##

I don't understand what your wrote in the middle. In the problem statement they define ##\hat{\star}## as ##gH \hat{\star} g' H = (g \star g')H = gg'H##

Bashyboy said:
##g_1 H g_3 H=g_1 g_3 HH=g_1 g_3 H##

I don't understand what your wrote in the middle. In the problem statement they define ##\hat{\star}## as ##gH \hat{\star} g' H = (g \star g')H = gg'H##

I was defining your '*' product on the cosets as just the set product, which you can do since H is normal. And yes, even if H is not normal then ##gH=ghH## for any h in H. But ##gH \hat{\star} g' H = (g \star g')H = gg'H## and ##ghH \hat{\star} g' h' H = (g h)\star (g'h')H = ghg'h'H## by your definition. ##ghg'h'H## is not generally equal to ##gg'H## if H is not normal.

Last edited:
Likes Bashyboy

1. What does it mean for an operator to be well-defined?

An operator is considered well-defined if it produces the same result when applied to equivalent inputs. In other words, the output of the operator is independent of the specific representation of the input.

2. Why is it important to show that an operator is well-defined?

If an operator is not well-defined, it can lead to inconsistencies and errors in mathematical proofs and calculations. Showing that an operator is well-defined ensures that it will produce reliable and consistent results.

3. How do you show that an operator is well-defined?

To show that an operator is well-defined, you must demonstrate that it produces the same output for all equivalent inputs. This can be done by carefully examining the definition of the operator and proving that it is independent of the representation of the input.

4. What is the difference between a well-defined operator and a poorly-defined operator?

A well-defined operator will produce consistent and reliable results for all inputs, while a poorly-defined operator may produce different results for equivalent inputs. This can lead to errors and inconsistencies in mathematical calculations and proofs.

5. Can an operator be partially well-defined?

No, an operator must be fully well-defined in order to be considered a valid mathematical operation. If an operator is only partially well-defined, it is not considered a proper mathematical operation and may lead to errors and inconsistencies.