Show Laplace[f(at)] = (1/a) F(s/a)]

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 20K views
Saladsamurai
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement



Show that if

[tex]\text{L}\[f(t)] = F(s) \text{ then } \text{L}\[f(at)] = \frac{1}{a}F(\frac{s}{a})[/tex]


Homework Equations



Definition of Laplace

The Attempt at a Solution



By definition,

[tex]L[f(at)] = \int_0^\infty f(at)e^{-st}dt[/tex]

I was given a hint to let u = at --> dt = du/a so we have

[tex]L[f(at)] = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\frac{s}{a}u}\,du[/tex]

Now it looks like I am about done, but I am not sure how to proceed? I believe I now need to show that the if by definition

[tex]L[f(t)] = F(s) = \int_0^\infty f(t)e^{-st}dt[/tex]

then the integral

[tex]\int_0^\infty f(t)e^{-\frac{s}{a}t}\,dt = F(\frac{s}{a})[/tex]

Seems simple enough, but I am not sure how to show it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate w.r.t a and obtain a differentiatal equation in a and solve it.

Mat
 
Define [tex]\tilde{s} = s/a[/tex], then by definition the integral is [tex]F(\tilde{s})[/tex].
 
fzero said:
Define [tex]\tilde{s} = s/a[/tex], then by definition the integral is [tex]F(\tilde{s})[/tex].

Man, I knew I was almost there. Thanks! That works perfectly.

Edit: For completeness of the thread: Letting [itex]\tilde{s} = s/a,[/itex]

[tex]L[f(at)] = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\frac{s}{a}u}\,du = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\tilde{s}u}\,du[/tex]

which is an integral transform that sends f from the u domain to the [itex]tilde{s}[/itex] domain:

[tex]\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\tilde{s}u}\,du = F(\tilde{s}) = F(\frac{s}{a})[/tex]

so,

[tex]L[f(at)] = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\frac{s}{a}u}\,du = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\tilde{s}u}\,du = \frac{1}{a}F(\frac{s}{a})[/tex]
 
Last edited: