1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show ##\{nx^{n}(1-x)\}_{n = 0}^{\infty}## converges uni

1. Jun 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    show ##\{nx^{n}(1-x)\}## converges uni on [0,1]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Note, that ##\sum nx^n(1-x)## converges uni on [0,1] by Abels' Theorem. Therefore the series follows the cauchy criterion,
    ##\forall \epsilon > 0##, ##\exists N > 0 ## such that if n,n > N then

$$\left|(m+1)x^{m+1}(1 - x) + ... + nx^{n}(1- x)\right| < \epsilon\,\,\, \forall x \in [0,1]$$,

Now since ##nx^n(1 - x) \geq 0## for all n we can say

$$\left|nx^{n}(1 - x) - mx^{m}(1 - x)\right| < \epsilon\,\,\, \forall x \in [0,1].$$

Which implies that ##\{nx^n(1 - x)\}## is uniformly cauchy ##\forall x \in [0,1]## and therefore uniformly convergent for ##x \in [0,1]##

Dont know if this is right

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

Care to elaborate ?

Note that once you've said that, you're done - if the series converges uniformly so does the sequence of course, there is no need for a Cauchy argument. But your first step is mysterious (and unnecessary).

4. Jun 6, 2015 #3
    Well my version of Abel's theorem states
    Let ##g(x) = \sum a_{n}x^{n}## that converges at some point R > 0. Then the series converges uniformly on [0,R]. I used the cauchy argument since we never proved series uniformly convergent implies the sequence is uniformly convergent.

5. Jun 6, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That is:
    1) Incorrect, if ##g(x)## converges at some point ##R>0##, then you are only guaranteed convergence on ##[0,r]## for ##r<R##.
    2) Not what Abel's theorem says.

See http://jlms.oxfordjournals.org/content/s1-39/1/81.extract [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Jun 6, 2015 #5
    i am quite literally picking this up verbatim from my text
    it is attached to this post

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Jun 6, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Which book is this? The flaw in the proof seems to be assuming that ##\left( \frac{x}{R} \right)^n## is monotone decreasing, which is not the case for ##x=R##.

8. Jun 6, 2015 #7
    understanding analysis, Abbot

9. Jun 6, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, never mind. The theorem and proof is correct. Your proof is correct too then.

10. Jun 6, 2015 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But, your proof is unnecessarily complicated by the way. It is much easier to find the maximum of the function on each interval, and to prove those maxima converge to ##0##. There is no real reason to transform this into a power series.

11. Jun 6, 2015 #10
    Yeah we havent been given that theorem, this was me trying to tackle this thing with the tools available

12. Jun 7, 2015 #11

wabbit

Gold Member

Actually, your sequence ## f_n(x)=nx^n(1-x) ## does not converge uniformly on ## [0,1] ##.
    It converges pointwise to zero on that interval. However, if you set ## x_n=\frac{n}{n+1} ## which is the value at which ## f_n ## reaches its maximum over ## [0,1] ## , you find that ##f_n(x_n)=(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n+1}=(1-\frac{1}{n+1})^{n+1} \ _{\overrightarrow{n\rightarrow\infty}}\frac{1}{e}>0 ## and this proves that the convergence is not uniform.

Edit : the reason your proof is incorrect, and the theorem you quote is not applicable here, is that ## \sum nx^n(1-x) ## is not a power series. You can of course write it as ## (1-x)\sum nx^n ## but then you will note that the power series ## \sum n x^n ## does not converge for ## x=1 ## so you cannot use that theorem.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  13. Jun 7, 2015 #12
    ok, so if it doesnt converge uni then isnt it weird that
    $$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{1} f_{n} \rightarrow 0?$$

Isn't uniform convergence a necessary condition for that?

Attached Files:

14. Jun 7, 2015 #13

wabbit

Gold Member

No, uniform convergence is a sufficient condition for the convergence of the integral, but by no means a necessary one - as this example shows.

15. Jun 7, 2015 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This just implies that the series ##\sum_{n=0}^N x^n## converges uniformly on ##[0, 1 - \epsilon]## for any small ##\epsilon > 0##. Thus, ##\sum_{n=0}^N (1-x)x^n## converges to 1 uniformly on ##[0, 1-\epsilon]##. This does not say what happens right at ##x = 1##, because then you have a series of terms that all = 0 (and, somehow, you want that series to converge to 1?)

16. Jun 7, 2015 #15
    hmmm, never said anything about converging to 1...I said that the theorem implies that it converges uni on [0,1]. It does say what happens at x = 1. The original series equals zero at x = 1. Therefore it converges at some point x = R = 1 > 0. Therefore it converges for [0,R] = [0,1]

17. Jun 7, 2015 #16

wabbit

Gold Member

As I mentionned in my previous post, the original series you wrote is not a power series so you cannot apply Abel's theorem to it.

18. Jun 7, 2015 #17
    my only issue wabbit is that in my class we did not get the theorem you applied to show it is not uni conv. i do not know how to approach it without that theorem

19. Jun 7, 2015 #18

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You did not mention convergence to 1, but I did.

You have a series that converges uniformly to 1 for ##0 \leq x \leq 1 - \epsilon## (for any small ##\epsilon > 0##), but which converges to 0 when ##x = 1## exactly. You may call that uniform convergence on [0,1], but I---for one---would not.

20. Jun 7, 2015 #19
    I do not see where you are getting that the series converges to 1. thats not even the point wise limit. Maybe i am misunderstanding you

21. Jun 7, 2015 #20

wabbit

Gold Member

I did not use a theorem in particular, could you be more specific as to what you find unclear in the proof I gave ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted