Show particles are scattered at right angles in the CM frame

In summary, the two protons are scattered with equal energies at equal angles θ/2 to the beam. This implies they are scattered at right angles to the direction of the beam. The energy and momentum of the scattered protons in the CM frame are E(cm) and E'(cm), respectively.
Freya

Homework Statement

Suppose that in a fixed-target proton-proton collision, the two protons are scattered with equal energies at equal angles θ/2 to the beam. Show that in the CM frame, this implies they are scattered at right angles to the direction of the beam. Calculate the energy and momentum of the scattered protons in the CM frame.

Homework Equations

E(cm)= √2mc^2(E1+mc^2) (E(cm) is the energy in the centre of momentum frame, derived using energy and momentum conservation, E1 is the energy of the initial proton beam)
E'(cm)=1/2 E(cm) (as they have equal energy after it must be half the initial centre of momentum frame energy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how I'm going to yield an angle from this because in theory they will be coming off at equal angles and the modulus of the 2 protons momentum after will be equal (as they are equal and opposite) so I've tried to solve using conservation of momentum perpendicular to the beam energy which would give:

|P3|sin(θ3)=|P4|sin(θ4)
where P3 and θ3 represent the scattering angle from the beam energy for one of the protons and P4, θ4 the other proton. But these would just cancel due to them being equal and opposite so the angles are equal?

Thanks in advance, I've been tearing my hair out over this for a while!

Physics news on Phys.org
If they get scattered at the same angle relative to the beam, what can you say about their relative energies? How does the motion look like in the center of mass system?

You don't need any formulas here, symmetry arguments are sufficient.

Thank you, I knew I could justify it using the information in a wordy explanation but I assumed the 'Show that' nature of the question meant I'd need to prove it mathematically using the angles in the CM, but it does make more sense to just explain.
Thanks again!

1. What does it mean for particles to be scattered at right angles in the CM frame?

When particles are scattered at right angles in the center-of-mass (CM) frame, it means that the angle between the initial and final directions of the particles is 90 degrees. This occurs when the collision between the particles is perfectly elastic, meaning that no energy is lost during the interaction.

2. How is the CM frame defined in particle scattering experiments?

The CM frame is defined as the frame of reference in which the total momentum of the particles is equal to zero. In other words, it is the frame in which the two colliding particles appear to have equal and opposite momenta. This frame is useful for analyzing particle interactions because it eliminates the effects of the motion of the particles themselves.

3. Why is it important to study particle scattering in the CM frame?

Studying particle scattering in the CM frame allows us to better understand the underlying physics of the interaction. It allows us to isolate the effects of the particles' intrinsic properties, such as their mass and charge, from the effects of their motion. This can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and particles that govern the universe.

4. What are some examples of particle scattering experiments in which particles are scattered at right angles in the CM frame?

One example is Rutherford's famous gold foil experiment, in which alpha particles were scattered at right angles in the CM frame by a thin gold foil. Another example is electron-proton scattering experiments, in which the scattered particles are often detected at right angles in the CM frame.

5. Can particles be scattered at angles other than 90 degrees in the CM frame?

Yes, particles can be scattered at any angle in the CM frame, depending on the properties of the particles and the conditions of the interaction. However, when the scattering is elastic and the particles have equal masses, the most likely scattering angle is 90 degrees in the CM frame.