Four momentum proton-proton scattering question

In summary, Four momentum proton-proton scattering is a method used in particle physics to study the interactions between protons. It involves measuring the four-momentum of the protons before and after they collide, allowing for the calculation of various physical properties such as energy, momentum, and mass. This technique is crucial in understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.
Jdraper

Homework Statement

In a fixed target experiment a particle of mass M and kinetic energy T strikes a stationary particle of mass M. By evaluating s, t and u in the laboratory frame and using the above relation, or otherwise, show that the kinetic energy T' of the particle scattered elastically at an angle θ is given by

T' = T cos^2 θ / (1 + ((T/2M)*sin^2 θ))

Homework Equations

We know that:
We define P1 as the four momentum of the incoming proton:
P1 = (T+M,0,0,T)
P2 as the stationary proton:
P2 = (M,0,0,0)
P3 as the initially incoming proton after the scattering event:
P3 = (T'+M, 0, T'sinθ, T'cosθ)
P4 as the initially stationary proton after the scattering event:
P4 = (E4+M, P4) where P4 in the bracket is a 3 vector not 4.

We also know:

s = (P1 + P2)2 , t = (P1 − P3)2 and u = (P1 − P4)2

and

s + t + u = ∑ mi2 = 4m2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this multiple times over a few days, I realize that P4 and therefore u need to be eliminated as they aren't in the solution but I am unsure how.

Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, John.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jdraper said:

Homework Statement

In a fixed target experiment a particle of mass M and kinetic energy T strikes a stationary particle of mass M. By evaluating s, t and u in the laboratory frame and using the above relation, or otherwise, show that the kinetic energy T' of the particle scattered elastically at an angle θ is given by

T' = T cos^2 θ / (1 + ((T/2M)*sin^2 θ))

Homework Equations

We know that:
We define P1 as the four momentum of the incoming proton:
P1 = (T+M,0,0,T)

You seem to be using the KE instead of the momentum in your four-vector.

PeroK said:
You seem to be using the KE instead of the momentum in your four-vector.
Hey, forgot to mention that I'm using the convention that c=1.

Jdraper said:
Hey, forgot to mention that I'm using the convention that c=1.

Okay, but you still don't have ##T = p##:

##T = E - M## and ##p^2 = E^2 - m^2##

PS The problem comes out from conservation of energy and momentum, although I haven't looked at how to do it using your equations for ##s, t, u, m##.

PeroK said:
Okay, but you still don't have ##T = p##:

##T = E - M## and ##p^2 = E^2 - m^2##

You've opened up a can of worms in my understanding here. My professor uses this convention and I have never really questioned it.

So you are saying:

##P=(E^2 -M^2)^{0.5}##
therefore as ##E=T+M## we can rewrite this as:

##P=((T+M)^2 + M^2)^{0.5} = (T^2 +2TM)^{0.5}##

Jdraper said:
You've opened up a can of worms in my understanding here. My professor uses this convention and I have never really questioned it.

So you are saying:

##P=(E^2 -M^2)^{0.5}##
therefore as ##E=T+M## we can rewrite this as:

##P=((T+M)^2 + M^2)^{0.5} = (T^2 +2TM)^{0.5}##

Yes. I used that equation to get the result.

PeroK said:
Yes. I used that equation to get the result.
So, just to check, the first four momentum vector would be:

##P_1 = (T+M, 0,0, (T^2 + 2TM)^{0.5})##

Jdraper said:
So, just to check, the first four momentum vector would be:

##P_1 = (T+M, 0,0, (T^2 + 2TM)^{0.5})##

Yes.

Jdraper said:
We also know:

s = (P1 + P2)2 , t = (P1 − P3)2 and u = (P1 − P4)2

and

s + t + u = ∑ mi2 = 4m2

I've had a quick look at using this equation. I must be missing something but I don't see the trick. It looks harder to me than starting from the equation for conservation of momentum using the cosine rule. Perhaps I'm missing a trick but the term in ##P_1P_4## is a nuisance.

PeroK said:
I've had a quick look at using this equation. I must be missing something but I don't see the trick. It looks harder to me than starting from the equation for conservation of momentum using the cosine rule. Perhaps I'm missing a trick but the term in ##P_1P_4## is a nuisance.

Currently trying to do it your way by conservation of momentum:

## (P_1 + P_2)^2 = (P_3 + P_4)^2 ##

If you want to read further into them, s,u and t are called the mandelstam variables. Yes, it's very difficult to cancel.The algebra becomes very messy.

Here is what my lecturer said when I emailed him a few days ago regarding this question:

For q1b in 2014 you first need to write down explicitly the expressions for s, t, and u in terms of m, T, T’ and theta. Then there are several options. One way is to take the t variable and, using s + t + u = 4m^2, express it via s and u in terms of their explicit expressions obtained in the first step. You then equate this expression to the explicit expression of t.

After that it’s just a tedious and longish algebra and you come up with the answer.

Jdraper said:
Here is what my lecturer said when I emailed him a few days ago regarding this question:

For q1b in 2014 you first need to write down explicitly the expressions for s, t, and u in terms of m, T, T’ and theta. Then there are several options. One way is to take the t variable and, using s + t + u = 4m^2, express it via s and u in terms of their explicit expressions obtained in the first step. You then equate this expression to the explicit expression of t.

After that it’s just a tedious and longish algebra and you come up with the answer.

Maybe my way is better! Here's a summary of the first steps. I kept it in terms of ##E_i## and ##p_i## to begin with and then used ##E = T + M## half way through.

1) Get an equation for ##E_4^2## using conservation of energy.

2) Get an equation for ##p_4^2## using conservation of momentum and the cosine rule. Substitute ##p_i = E_i - M##, which gives you another equation for ##E_4^2##.

3) Use 1) and 2) to eliminate ##E_4^2##.

(This is a fairly standard approach for collisions, so it's worth being familiar with). In this case, you should get:

##E_1E_3 - M(E_1 - E_3) - M^2 = p_1p_3 cos\theta##

Likes Jdraper
PeroK said:
Maybe my way is better! Here's a summary of the first steps. I kept it in terms of ##E_i## and ##p_i## to begin with and then used ##E = T + M## half way through.

1) Get an equation for ##E_4^2## using conservation of energy.

2) Get an equation for ##p_4^2## using conservation of momentum and the cosine rule. Substitute ##p_i = E_i - M##, which gives you another equation for ##E_4^2##.

3) Use 1) and 2) to eliminate ##E_4^2##.

(This is a fairly standard approach for collisions, so it's worth being familiar with). In this case, you should get:

##E_1E_3 - M(E_1 - E_3) - M^2 = p_1p_3 cos\theta##

Thank you, think I've followed your method by eliminating ##E_4 and P_4 ## but I've become bogged down in the algebra. Will have another attempt and let you know

Jdraper said:
Thank you, think I've followed your method by eliminating ##E_4 and P_4 ## but I've become bogged down in the algebra. Will have another attempt and let you know

I substituted ##E = T + M## in the left-hand side and simplified.

Just got it solved. I used conservation of 4 momenta to derive P4. After that work out s, u, t and use s+t+u= 4m^2

Last edited:

1. What is four momentum in proton-proton scattering?

The four momentum in proton-proton scattering is a mathematical concept used to describe the energy, momentum, and direction of particles involved in the scattering process. It is a four-dimensional vector that includes the energy and three components of momentum.

2. How is four momentum conserved in proton-proton scattering?

In proton-proton scattering, four momentum is conserved through the conservation of energy and momentum. This means that the total four momentum of the particles before and after the scattering event remains the same.

3. What is the significance of four momentum in proton-proton scattering?

Four momentum is important in proton-proton scattering because it allows us to accurately describe and calculate the properties of particles involved in the scattering process. It also helps to understand the fundamental interactions between particles.

4. How is four momentum calculated in proton-proton scattering?

Four momentum can be calculated using the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the scattering process. The four momentum vector is given by the energy and three components of momentum, where the energy is equal to the square root of the square of the mass of the particle plus the square of its momentum.

5. What is the relationship between four momentum and the scattering angle in proton-proton scattering?

The scattering angle in proton-proton scattering is related to the magnitude and direction of the four momentum vector. As the scattering angle increases, the magnitude of the four momentum vector also increases, indicating a larger change in momentum of the particles involved in the scattering process.