1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show square inscribed in circle has maximum area

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the square, when inscribed in a circle, has the largest area of all the 4-sided polygons. Try to show that all sides of a quadrilateral of maximal area have to be of
    equal length.

3. The attempt at a solution
    How do you start?
    I don't get how showing the sides are equal will help prove that the square has maximal area.
    Any hints?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Try to express surface of the inscribed 4-sided polygon as a function of the length of its sides. General case will be more difficult, but for a specific case of rectangle it should be relatively easy to express lengths as a function of one variable.

Once you have that, find maximum.
  4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    I don't quite understand.
    Say I have a square, let the side length = a.

area = a^2.
    Then maximize by taking derivative?
  5. Sep 6, 2010 #4
    Real easy to prove with coordinate geometry, but you need to know the parametric equation of a circle and the area of a quadrilateral.

Any point on a circle (with origin as centre and radius r) is (r cosx, r sinx)
    and area of a quadrilateral with vertices (x1, y1), (x2, y2), (x3, y3), (x4, y4),
    is #8 here http://www.mathisfunforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=3301

take four points, put them in the formula, the result becomes obvious
  6. Sep 6, 2010 #5
    that gives me the area, but it doesnt prove that it is the maximum area for a 4 sided shape.
  7. Sep 6, 2010 #6
    it does! the result for area of a general quadrilateral in a circle comes to be (assuming radius r and angles A, B, C, D
    r2/2[sin(A-B) + sin(B-C) + sin(C-D) + sin(D-A)]
    the maximum value of which (2r2) is attained only when each of the angular differences is 90 degrees which results in a square

did u try solving it? you need basic trignometric formulae
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook