1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that ____ is a solution to the differential equation model?

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Trying to go over this part of my test review. I'm not understanding how to do this. The specific problem which I actually have worked out in my notes:

A diff equation model of the motion of a spring where x is displacement from the spring's natural length, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass as follows:

(d^2*x)/(d*t^2) = k/m * x

Show that x(t)=sin(sqrt(k/m)*t) + 2cos(sqrt(k/m)*t) is a solution to the model.

3. The attempt at a solution

My notes appear to take the first, then the second dir. of the second function there. But thats all I can make sense of. Maybe I'm not understanding how to take the dir of these functions I'm not sure.

For example on the second to the last line, how am I supposed to simplify -k/m (sin(sqrt(k/m)t) + 2cos (sqrt(k/m)t)

to

-k/mx

thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because you just said that x=(sin(sqrt(k/m)t) + 2cos (sqrt(k/m)t) ?

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    uhhh...thanks? Since somebody answered I won't get a real answer now. :(

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uhh... that was a real answer?
    Notice how you assume that x is sin(sqrt(k/m)*t) + 2cos(sqrt(k/m)*t) to start your answer.

Notice how you want to replace the bolded portion with x. Notice how x is assumed to be exactly the bolded portion.

6. Oct 5, 2009 #5
    Yes, I see what you're saying, sorry.

I gave the second to the last line as an example of how I don't fully understand the process.

To take the derivative or second derivative of the function do I sub something for sqrt(k/m)?

sin(u*t) + 2cos(u)*t

Like that?

7. Oct 5, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can but you should be able to use the chain rule without having to substitute like that. It is, after all, just a constant: the derivative of f(ax) is af '(ax).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook