Show that a Gaussian Distribution Corresponds to a CTS random variable.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a Gaussian Distribution and a Continuous-Time Stochastic (CTS) random variable. The lecturer starts by showing that a Gaussian Distribution can be represented by a probability density function (p.d.f) and that the p.d.f is always greater than or equal to 0 for any real number. The integral of the p.d.f over all real numbers is equal to 1. Then, the lecturer finds the moment generating function (M.G.F) and takes the first two derivatives to calculate the variance. Next, the lecturer explains how taking a linear combination of two independent Gaussians can result in a new mean and variance. The listener has some questions about how this relates to the initial problem, the purpose of
andyb177
Going over my Lecture Notes my Lecturer as Started with

Show that a Gaussian Distribution Corresponds to a CTS random variable.

Then she has

i) Taken the f(x) = [p.d.f] and shown a) f(x) >= 0 for all x member of real numbers. b) Integral over all real numbers = 1

ii) Found the M.G.F then taken the first two derivatives of MGF and calculated variance.

iii) Taken two independent Gaussians and taken a linear combination i.e. aX+bY and found a new mean and variance.

My Problems are.
1) How does this shove the initial problem? (this is my only stats module and is this ticking off a definition?)
2) Why Calculate the Variance from the M.G.F
3) What does finding the new mean and variance achieve in case iii)

This is a bit of a complicated question any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should clarify your question somewhat. Start by defining CTS. Statement i) is very confusing.

1. What is a Gaussian distribution?

A Gaussian distribution, also known as a normal distribution, is a continuous probability distribution that is often used to describe real-valued random variables. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is symmetric around the mean value.

2. What is a CTS random variable?

A CTS (continuous-time and space) random variable is a type of random variable that can take on any value within a certain range. It is often used to model phenomena that occur continuously over time and/or space, such as the height of a person or the temperature of a room.

3. How does a Gaussian distribution correspond to a CTS random variable?

A Gaussian distribution corresponds to a CTS random variable because it is a continuous probability distribution that can be used to model a CTS random variable. In other words, the values of a CTS random variable can be described by a Gaussian distribution.

4. What are the properties of a Gaussian distribution?

Some properties of a Gaussian distribution include: a symmetric and bell-shaped curve, a mean and standard deviation that fully describe the distribution, and the majority of values falling within a few standard deviations of the mean (i.e. the 68-95-99.7 rule).

5. How is a Gaussian distribution related to the central limit theorem?

The central limit theorem states that the sample means of a large number of independent and identically distributed variables will follow a Gaussian distribution, regardless of the distribution of the original variables. This means that many natural phenomena can be modeled using a Gaussian distribution, making it a fundamental concept in statistics and probability theory.