Show that an analytic mapping is an open mapping

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date

Homework Statement

As in in title.

Homework Equations

Open mapping: maps open sets to open sets.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

As in in title.

Homework Equations

Open mapping: maps open sets to open sets.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure.
That's a pretty poor attempt. If you don't know how to prove it can you at least give us a few thoughts on why you think it might (or might not) be true?

That's a pretty poor attempt. If you don't know how to prove it can you at least give us a few thoughts on why you think it might (or might not) be true?
If a function f(z) is differentiable on a set G, then it is continuous on G. If it continuous, the image of every open set is an open set. Done(?).

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If a function f(z) is differentiable on a set G, then it is continuous on G. If it continuous, the image of every open set is an open set. Done(?).
Nice that you are trying to think about it. But that's not true in the real numbers. f(x)=x^2 is continuous and differentiable, but it's not open. The proof is going to have to involve special properties of analytic functions.

Nice that you are trying to think about it. But that's not true in the real numbers. f(x)=x^2 is continuous and differentiable, but it's not open. The proof is going to have to involve special properties of analytic functions.
Anything to do with "Analytic continuation" that I see on Wikipedia?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Anything to do with "Analytic continuation" that I see on Wikipedia?
That's part of it. Rouche's theorem is probably the main ingredient.

Bacle2
Science Advisor
It makes sense to me this way:

An open set in f(z) (say an open ball B(f(z),r), to simplify) is one in which every point in B(f(z),r) is in f(z), i.e., every point in B(z,r) is in the image of f(z). This makes every point in B(f(z),r) a solution to , or a zero of, a certain equation.