Show that for all integers congruent modulo 11

• Thread starter Lelouch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, we can use Fermat's Little Theorem to show that for all ##n \in \mathbb{Z}##, ##n^{11a + 21b + 31c} \equiv n^{a + b + c} \quad (mod \text{ } 11)##.
Lelouch

Homework Statement

Let ##a, b, c \in \mathbb{N \setminus \{0 \}}##. Show that for all ##n \in \mathbb{Z}## we have

$$n^{11a + 21b + 31c} \equiv n^{a + b + c} \quad (mod \text{ } 11).$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We have to show that ##11 | (n^{11a + 21b + 31c} - n^{a + b + c}) \iff \exists k \in \mathbb{Z} : n^{11a + 21b + 31c} - n^{a + b + c} = 11k.##

I tried showing that ##11 | n^{11a + 21b + 31c}## and ##11 | - n^{a + b + c}## and then conclude that ## 11 | (n^{11a + 21b + 31c} - n^{a + b + c})##. I also tried breaking down the variables in even and odd but that gave me too many cases which became tedious very fast. I also tried induction on a keeping b,c fixed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to work with ##(n^{a+2b+3c})^{10} \equiv 0 \operatorname{mod} 11## and perhaps the divisibility criterion of ##11## (alternating digit sum)? Or consider which remainders modulo ##11## become ##0## if taken to the ##10-##th power.

What I've done is used Fermat's Little Theorem like this

\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
n^{11a + 21b + 31c} & \equiv n^{11a}n^{21b}n^{31c} \text{ (mod 11)} \\
& \equiv (n^{a})^{11}(n^{b})^{11} (n^{b})^{10}(n^{c})^{11}(n^{c})^{11}(n^{c})^{9} \text{ (mod 11)} \\
& \equiv n^{a}n^{b} (n^{b})^{10}n^{c}n^{c}(n^{c})^{9} \text{ (mod 11)} \\
& \equiv n^{a}(n^{b})^{11}(n^{c})^{11} \text{ (mod 11)} \\
& \equiv n^{a}n^{b}n^{c} \text{ (mod 11)}.
\end{split}
\end{equation*}

Since 11 is a prime number we have by Fermat's Little Theorem that

\begin{equation*}
(n^{a})^{11} \equiv n^{a} \text{ (mod 11)} \quad \land \quad
(n^{b})^{11} \equiv n^{a} \text{ (mod 11)} \quad \land \quad (n^{c})^{11} \equiv n^{a} \text{ (mod 11)}.
\end{equation*}

Is this correct?

Yes, that's fine.

1. What is congruence modulo 11?

Congruence modulo 11 is a mathematical concept that refers to the remainder when a number is divided by 11. In other words, two numbers are congruent modulo 11 if they have the same remainder when divided by 11.

2. How is congruence modulo 11 different from regular equality?

Congruence modulo 11 takes into account the remainder when dividing by 11, whereas regular equality only looks at the whole number. For example, 23 and 34 are not equal, but they are congruent modulo 11 since they both have a remainder of 1 when divided by 11.

3. What does it mean to "show that for all integers congruent modulo 11"?

This phrase indicates that the statement being made applies to all integers that are congruent modulo 11. In other words, it is true for any integer that leaves the same remainder when divided by 11.

4. How can I prove that a statement is true for all integers congruent modulo 11?

To prove that a statement is true for all integers congruent modulo 11, you can use mathematical induction. This involves showing that the statement is true for the first few integers, and then using a proof by contradiction to show that it must also be true for all subsequent integers.

5. Can congruence modulo 11 be applied to other operations besides addition and multiplication?

Yes, congruence modulo 11 can be applied to any operation that involves integers, such as subtraction, division, and exponentiation. The same rules of congruence apply, where two numbers are congruent if they have the same remainder when divided by 11 after the operation is performed.