1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Matrix Multiplication is Associative

1. Jun 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that (AB)C=A(BC)

I am just trying to do this to try to gain some experience with problems like this. I saw in my text that they did a similar example for distributivity using the definition of matrix multiplication, so I thought I could use that approach.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the (i,j)-entry of A be given by aij
    Let the (i,j)-entry of B be given by bij
    Let the (i,j)-entry of C be given by cij

Then the (i,j)-entry of (AB) is given by

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^na_{ik}b_{kj}[/tex]

Here is where I get lost. I was thinking of then writing that the (i,j)-entry of (AB)C would be given by

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n(a_{ik}b_{kj})c_{kj}[/tex]

but I don't think that this works.....and I am not sure why or why not:redface:

Any hints?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have the right idea, but your element of (AB)C is incorrect. Each entry in AB is going to be a summation, and then each entry in (AB)C should be a summation in which each term contains a summation (specifically, the piece from AB is going to be a summation). So your final equation for the (i,j)th entry of (AB)C should contain a double summation.

Just walk through the definition of matrix multiplication real carefully and you should be able to get it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook