1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that the half open interval is a topology

1. Dec 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are given ##H## = {##O | \forall x, \exists a,b \in R## s.t ##x \in [a,b] \subseteqq O##}##\bigcup {\oslash}##

and are asked to show that it is a topology on R

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of a topological space

3. The attempt at a solution

I am trying to convince myself that R is in H. I do not see it. This is, of course, the first property of a topological space.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2
    So take ##x\in \mathbb{R}##, you must find ##a,b## such that ##x\in [a,b]\subseteq \mathbb{R}##. Any idea of what the ##a## and ##b## are gonna be?? (Hint: any ##a## and ##b## are good as long as ##a\leq b##)

4. Dec 7, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since for any x, x is an element of [x,x], the way you stated the first part of your union, the only subset O of R that will satisfy that is R itself. There is something wrong with your problem statement. That doesn't look like a half-open topology to me.

5. Dec 7, 2013 #4
    OK so now I am trying to show that a finite intersection is in H. I am still really confused on what this set actually is. I would appreciate if anyone could explain to me how this set is/works.

6. Dec 7, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why does the thread title refer to the half-open interval topology? I don't see any half-open intervals in your definition.

You do realize that for any set A, its union with the empty set is itself, right? So you might as well have written
    $$H = \{ O: \forall x, \exists a,b \in \mathbb{R} \text{ such that } x \in [a,b] \subset O \}.$$ What you probably meant was
    $$H = \{ O: \forall x, \exists a,b \in \mathbb{R} \text{ such that } x \in [a,b] \subset O \} \cup \{\emptyset\},$$ so that the empty set is an element of H.

Finally, what about the point Dick brought up? The only set that satisfies your definition is ##\mathbb{R}## since ##x## can be anything, so this topology is the trivial topology ##\{ \emptyset, \mathbb{R}\}##, not the half-open interval topology.

You really need to get the definition of H down before you go about trying to prove anything with it.

7. Dec 7, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The half-open interval topology or lower limit topology is usually defined as the topology generated by the basis sets [a,b). Your set definition doesn't resemble that in the slightest.

8. Dec 8, 2013 #7
    My mistake people. There was suppose to be an open bracket at b. [a,b)

9. Dec 8, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so your topology consists of the set of all sets O such for every point x in O, there is an interval [a,b) that contains the point x and is a subset of O. Does that make it clearer what your topology is?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted