Local Formulation of Continuity

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a function to be continuous on a topological space. The main conclusion is that if a function is continuous on each open set in the space, then it must be continuous on the entire space. However, there may be some steps missing in the proof to fully establish this conclusion.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##X## and ##Y## be topological spaces, and let ##\{U_i\}## be a collection of open sets in ##X##. If ##X = \bigcup U_i## and ##f|_{U_i}## is continuous, then ##f : X \to Y## continuous.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##x \in X##, and let ##V \subseteq Y## be some open nbhd of ##f(x)##. Then there exists an ##i## such that ##x \in U_i##. Since ##f_{U_i}## is continuous, there exists a set ##\mathcal{O}## that is open in ##U_i## and contains ##x## such that ##f|_{U_i}(\mathcal{O}) \subseteq V##. But as ##U_i## is open in ##X##, so must ##\mathcal{O}##; moreover, ##f(\mathcal{O}) = f_{U_i}(\mathcal{O})## holds since ##\mathcal{O}## is completely contained in ##U_i##. Therefore, ##f## must be continuous.

How does that sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
There seem to be some steps missing. What is needed is to show that ##f^{-1}(V)## is open. There are some deductions in the above proof that may relate to that, but nothing that explicitly reaches that conclusion - ie 'closes the deal'.

Well, I am working with a different formulation of continuity:

For each ##x \in X## and each neighborhood ##V \subseteq Y## of ##f(x)##, there is a neighborhood ##U## of ##x## such that ##f(U) \subseteq V##.

Perhaps that makes a difference.

What is meant by "Local Formulation of Continuity"?

The local formulation of continuity is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of physical systems. It specifies that the properties of a system at a particular point in space and time are dependent on the properties of the system in its immediate surroundings, rather than the system as a whole.

Why is the local formulation of continuity important in scientific research?

The local formulation of continuity allows scientists to describe and understand complex systems in a more manageable way. By breaking down a system into smaller, local parts, it becomes easier to study and make predictions about its behavior. This approach is especially useful in fields such as fluid dynamics and thermodynamics.

What are some applications of the local formulation of continuity?

The local formulation of continuity is used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. It is used to study fluid flow, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and many other physical phenomena. It is also important in understanding the behavior of living organisms and ecosystems.

How does the local formulation of continuity differ from the global formulation?

The global formulation of continuity looks at the properties of a system as a whole, while the local formulation focuses on the properties of a system at a specific point. The global formulation is useful for describing the overall behavior of a system, while the local formulation allows for a more detailed analysis of the system's behavior in different regions.

What are some challenges in using the local formulation of continuity?

One challenge is determining the appropriate scale at which to apply the local formulation. In some cases, the behavior of a system at a smaller scale may not accurately reflect the behavior at a larger scale. Additionally, accurately measuring and accounting for all the factors that influence a system at a local level can be difficult and may introduce errors in the analysis.