Show that the Hermite polynomials H2(x) and H3(x).

In summary, The Hermite polynomials H2(x) and H3(x) are orthogonal on x € [-L, L], where L > 0 is a constant, and this is shown by proving that the product of H2 and H3 is an odd function.
ASIWYFA
Hi guys. I am new, and i need help badly. I have been asked this question and I have no idea how to do it. Any help would be appreciated!

Show that the Hermite polynomials H2(x) and H3(x) are orthogonal on
x € [-L, L], where L > 0 is a constant,
H2(x) = 4x² - 2 and H3(x) = 8x³ - 12x

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show that

[tex]\int_{-L}^L{(4x^2-2)(8x^3-12x)dx}=0[/tex]

This seems an easy integral...

Or do you consider another inner product??

Yes you are correct. THanks you. I believe I have solved the problem correctly.

One thing that's worth pointing out about this problem is that while there are other ways for functions to be orthogonal over a specific interval (like [-1,1] for example), the only way possible for functions to be orthogonal over the arbitrary interval [-L,L] is if their product is an odd function.

So the original question is equivalent to showing that the product of H2 and H3 is an odd function.

1. What are Hermite polynomials?

Hermite polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are commonly used in mathematical physics. They are named after mathematician Charles Hermite and are typically denoted as Hn(x), where n is the degree of the polynomial.

2. What is the formula for Hermite polynomials?

The formula for Hermite polynomials is given by Hn(x) = (-1)^n e^(x^2) (d^n/dx^n) e^(-x^2), where n is the degree of the polynomial.

3. How are Hermite polynomials related to Gaussian functions?

Hermite polynomials are closely related to Gaussian functions as they can be expressed as a product of a Gaussian function and a polynomial. In fact, Hn(x) is the nth-order derivative of the Gaussian function e^(-x^2).

4. What are the first few Hermite polynomials?

The first few Hermite polynomials are H0(x) = 1, H1(x) = 2x, H2(x) = 4x^2 - 2, H3(x) = 8x^3 - 12x, and H4(x) = 16x^4 - 48x^2 + 12. These polynomials can be generated using the recurrence relation Hn+1(x) = 2xHn(x) - 2nHn-1(x).

5. How are Hermite polynomials used in physics?

Hermite polynomials have many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. They are used to solve the Schrödinger equation for the quantum harmonic oscillator and to describe the energy levels of molecules. They are also used in the study of Brownian motion and to model the behavior of gases in statistical mechanics.