1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of Cos(x) in Hermite polynomials

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    [/itex]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the first three coeficents c_n of the expansion of Cos(x) in Hermite Polynomials.
    The first three Hermite Polinomials are:
    [itex]H_0(x) = 1[/itex]
    [itex]H_1(x) = 2x[/itex]
    [itex]H_0(x) = 4x^2-2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to solve a similar problem where the function is a polynomial of finite degree, say x^3. Using the fact that H_n(x) is a polinomial of degree n, i set all the coeficent after c_3 equal to zero and equate the terms with equal degree. I find a system of linear equations and i solve it.
    In this case however the taylor series of Cos(x) is a polinomial of infinite degree. I can't apply this method.

I then try to use the orthogonality of the Hermite polynomials

[itex]\int^{∞}_{-∞}e^{-x^2}H_n(x)H_m(x)dx = \sqrt{\pi}2^nn!\delta_{nm}[/itex]

From the orthogonality i find the coeficents to be

[itex]c_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}2^nn!}\int^{∞}_{-∞}e^{-x^2} Cos(x) dx[/itex]

[itex]c_1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}2^nn!}\int^{∞}_{-∞}e^{-x^2} 2xCos(x) dx[/itex]

[itex]c_2 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}2^nn!}\int^{∞}_{-∞}e^{-x^2} (4x^2-2)Cos(x) dx[/itex]

Which are three hard integrals i haven't been able to solve. I can't use computer methods as i'm suppose to solve this in an exam with pen and paper. I'm stuck.

Thanks to anyone who takes a look at this.:tongue2:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2
    I don't think you can do that as the higher hermite polinomials are not zero.

I've figured the first and second integrals and they are

[itex] c_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{e}^{4}} [/itex]

[itex] c_1 =0 [/itex]

c_0 differs from your method.

i still need to find the last integral though.

4. Jun 12, 2014 #3
    For ##c_2##, you have two integrals.

$$4\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2e^{-x^2}\cos(x)\,dx-2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\cos(x)\,dx$$

Since you already evaluated ##c_0##, you know the value of second integral. To evaluate the first integral, consider the following definite integral:
    $$I(a)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a^2x^2}\cos(x)\,dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{a}e^{-1/(4a^2)}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(*)$$
    You should be able to prove the above result in the same way you evaluated ##c_0##.
    Differentiate both the sides of ##(*)## with respect to ##a## to obtain:
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}-2ax^2e^{-a^2x^2}\cos(x)\,dx=\sqrt{\pi}\frac{e^{-1/(4a^2)}(1-2a^2)}{2a^4} $$
    Substitute ##a=1## and you should be able to obtain the answer after some rearrangement of the above expression.

5. Jun 12, 2014 #4
    Thanks a lot!:biggrin:

6. Jun 12, 2014 #5
    Glad to help! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted