1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that two events are independent

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two cards are drawn in succession without replacement from a standard deck. Show that the events A = ”face card on first draw” and B = ”heart on second draw” are independent.

Hint: Write A = A1 ∪ A2, where A1 = ”face card and a heart on first draw” and A2 = ”face card and not a heart on first draw.”

2. Relevant equations

Two events A and B are independent if P(A ∩ B) = P(A)P(B), law of total probability, conditional probability, Bayes' Law, etc.

3. The attempt at a solution

The unconditional probability of A is P(A) = 12/52. A = A1 ∪ A2, A1 ∩ A2 = ∅, and P(A1 ∪ A2) = P(A1) + P(A2).

For this case, I considered A as the "new" sample space and used the law of total probability.

P(B | A) = P(B | A1)P(A1) + P(B | A2)P(A2).

P(B | A) = (12/51)(3/52) + (13/51)(9/52) = 3/52.

P(B ∩ A) = P(B | A)P(A) = (3/52)(12/52) = 36/522.

Assuming this is correct so far - I just need to find P(B) to determine if they're independent.

So, I let A and ~A be disjoint sets and calculate P(B) = P(B | A)P(A) + P(B | ~A)P(~A) with

A = A1 ∪ A2 and ~A = ~A1 ∪ ~A2.

P(B) = (3/52) + (10/52) = (13/52).

P(A)P(B) = (12/52)(13/52) ≠ 36/522.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It went off track here.
    The first two lines are P(B ∩ A), not P(B | A).

4. Sep 14, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] P(B|A) = P(B|A_1) P(A_1) + P(B|A_2) P(A_2) \; \Longleftarrow \text{false!} [/tex]
    You need to go back to first principles:
    [tex] \begin{array}{l}
    P(B|A) = \displaystyle \frac{P(B \cap A)}{P(A)} = \frac{P(B \cap A_1) + P(B \cap A_2)}{P(A)} \\
    = \displaystyle \frac{P(B|A_1) P(A_1) + P(B|A_2) P(A_2) }{P(A_1) + P(A_2)}
    \end{array} [/tex]

5. Sep 14, 2015 #4
    What's wrong with my reasoning? Given that A is true, I made it the "new" sample space and used total probability for that subset.

6. Sep 14, 2015 #5

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think Ray's post explains what's wrong quite nicely.

7. Sep 14, 2015 #6
    Then, P(B ∩ A) = P(B | A)P(A) = (1/4)(12/52) = 3/52.

P(A) = 12/52
    P(B) = 13/52

P(A)P(B) = 156/2704 = 3/52

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  8. Sep 15, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, now. However, I found your explanation of P(B) = 13/52 unconvincing; it is almost as though you arrive at the correct answer by accident, using incorrect reasons. You say that if ##A = A_1 \cup A_2## then ##\sim A = (\sim A_1) \cup (\sim A_2)##, and that is false (just look at a Venn diagram to see why). There is a well-known correct expression for ##\sim(A_1 \cup A_2)## which you surely must have seen before. I really could not follow your steps; perhaps you did correct calculations but labelled them incorrectly.

Just for the record: an easy way to get P(B) = 13/52 in cases like this one is to note that the unconditional probability P{heart on draw n} = 13/52 for any n = 1,2,3,...,52. Yes---even on draw 52, a draw with only one card left! The reason is that if you regard the sample space as the set of all 52! permutations of the numbers 1, 2,..., 52, then P{heart on draw n} = N_n/52!, where N_n = number of permutations where a 'heart' occupies slot n.This is obviously (and provably) the same whether n = 1, or n = 2, ..., or n = 52.

9. Sep 15, 2015 #8
    *It was unconvincing to me, too. :wink:

Well, it should be ~(A1 ∪ A2) = (~A1 ∩ ~A2). However, I considered ~A as non-face-card/heart and non-face-card/non-heart. I realize now that the notation was confusing. I should have made ~A = E ∪ F, or something.

I was also considering this experiment as a 2-tuple: (first card, second card). The possible number of permutations is 52*51. Then, P(B) = P(#(whatever card, heart))/(52*51).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted