Show the Cube root of x is uniform continuous on R.

In summary: Would that suffice as a proof?In summary, the student attempted to prove that the function f(x) is uniformly continuous on the real metric space by showing that it is uniformly cont. on (-inf, -1) U (1, inf) and given it is uniformly cont. on [-1,1] since it's compact. However, they were not able to find a minimum value for (x^(2/3)+(xy)^(1/3)+y^(2/3)) for x and y in (1,inf). They were also not able to use the def. of derivative yet.
billy2908

Homework Statement

Let f(x)=[tex]x^{1/3}[/tex] show that it is uniform continuous on the Real metric space.

Homework Equations

By def. of uniform continuity [tex]\forall\epsilon[/tex]>0 [tex]\exists\delta>0[/tex] s.t for [tex]\forall x,y\in\Re[/tex] where |x-y|<[tex]\delta[/tex] implies |f(x)-f(y)|< [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started w/ |[tex]x^{1/3}[/tex] -[tex]y^{1/3}[/tex]|* (|[tex]x^{2/3}[/tex] +[tex]xy^{1/3}[/tex]+[tex]y^{2/3}[/tex]|/|[tex]x^{2/3}[/tex] +[tex]xy^{1/3}[/tex]+[tex]y^{2/3}[/tex]|)

=|x-y|/(|[tex]x^{2/3}[/tex] +[tex]xy^{1/3}[/tex]+[tex]y^{2/3}[/tex]|)

But it doesn't seem to be uniform cont. if I set [tex]\delta[/tex]=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]*(|[tex]x^{2/3}[/tex] +[tex]xy^{1/3}[/tex]+[tex]y^{2/3}[/tex]|)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Consider two cases separately: |x| ≤ 1 and |x| > 1. Then combine the results.

that's exactly how I wanted to prove it. By showing it is uniformly cont. on (-inf, -1) U (1, inf) and given it is uniformly cont. on [-1,1] since it's compact.

But even when I choose x,y say from (1,inf) I still get left off with d=e*(x^2/3 +(xy)^1/3 +y^2/3)

Which doesn't help to show uniform continuity. So far I only am familiar w/ the Lipgarbagez proof for Uniform continuity. i.e.
if |f(x)-f(y)|<M for some real M. then f is unif. cont.

I'm aware there's another type of unif. cont. maybe dealing w/ f(x)=x^1/3 but I have no experience in proving for those.

Last edited:
But x^(1/3) is Lipgarbagez on (1,inf) isn't it? It has a bounded derivative, right?

Sorry, can't use the def. of derivative yet at this point. Also even if I can, and the derivative is bounded on (1,inf) is unbounded as x-> 0 since it looks like a verticle line.

billy2908 said:
Sorry, can't use the def. of derivative yet at this point. Also even if I can, and the derivative is bounded on (1,inf) is unbounded as x-> 0 since it looks like a verticle line.

It's hardly 'verticle'. What the minimum value of (x^(2/3)+(xy)^(1/3)+y^(2/3)) for x and y in (1,inf)?

Last edited:
minimum value should be x=1, y=1 in (1,inf)

so (x^(2/3)+(xy)^(1/3)+y^(2/3))= 3.

But I don't know what you are trying to lead me to...

billy2908 said:
minimum value should be x=1, y=1 in (1,inf)

so (x^(2/3)+(xy)^(1/3)+y^(2/3))= 3.

But I don't know what you are trying to lead me to...

I want you to use that to show me that |x^(1/3)-y^(1/3)|<|x-y|/3 for x and y in (1,inf).

I think I got the proof, but want to make sure it's correct.

let z=(x^(2/3)+(xy)^(1/3)+y^(2/3)) then z>3 since x and y are in (1,inf)
=> 1/z <1/3
It actually works on (-inf, -1) as wellso again |x^1/3 - y^1/3| = |x-y|/z < d/3

So we can pick d=3*e.

Also since we know x^1/3 is cont. on [-1,1] which is compact. Then for all e>0 exist a d'>0 that works.

So then I just pick d=min{3e, d'}. Since I already showed it is uniform cont. on |x|>1.

would that suffice as a proof?

It looks ok to me.

1. What is the definition of uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function on a given interval. It means that the function does not have any sudden or drastic changes on that interval, and the change in the function's output is directly proportional to the change in its input.

2. How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Uniform continuity is a stricter condition than regular continuity. While both require a function to be continuous, uniform continuity also requires the function to have a constant rate of change across a given interval, rather than just being continuous at each individual point.

3. Why is it important for the cube root of x to be uniformly continuous on R?

It is important for the cube root of x to be uniformly continuous on R because it ensures that the function is well-behaved and does not have any sudden or unexpected changes in its output. This is useful in many applications, such as in physics and engineering, where precise and consistent results are necessary.

4. How is the uniform continuity of the cube root of x proven on R?

The uniform continuity of the cube root of x on R can be proven using the definition of uniform continuity and the properties of the cube root function. It can be shown that for any given interval on the real numbers, the change in the output of the cube root function will always be proportional to the change in its input, thus satisfying the condition of uniform continuity.

5. Can the cube root of x be uniformly continuous on a subset of R?

Yes, the cube root of x can be uniformly continuous on a subset of R. As long as the function satisfies the definition of uniform continuity on that specific subset, it can be considered uniformly continuous. However, it may not necessarily be uniformly continuous on the entire R, as different subsets may have different rates of change for the function.